Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What to do with my cats

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

What to do with my cats

Advertisements
    I've become a cat lady; I'm completely in love with my boys. That being said, they are crazy. They are inside all day, usually finding ways to sleep on me, and they are in the garage at night. They've only been allowed to roam the house a few nights because I hate them being out there, but they kept waking the kids up. Or I'd wake up in the middle of the night with them trying to fit on my pillow.

I really want them to be able to stay inside when they want to (we have a cat door in the wall so they come in and out of the garage, during the day, as they please). Is there any way to do this? If it was just me they were waking up, eh, I'd work it out, but waking up the kids every night can't happen.

2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Honestly, kids get used to it, as bad as that sounds. When we first got pets, they woke my sister and I up every night, but eventually, we got used to them moving around the room/house at night and we werent woken up by it anymore. Could you close your kids bedroom doors?
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, you do realize that once you get cats, the home becomes theirs, and you become staff?

But read this, and be happy you are not her!
    "Crazy Cat Lady" Hoards Hundreds of Felines in "Crazy Cat House:" Officials | NBC 10 Philadelphia
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    How are they waking up the kids - are they going into the rooms and making noise playing with stuff, are they getting on the beds or are they making noise elsewhere in the house that wakes the kids?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Honestly, kids get used to it, as bad as that sounds. When we first got pets, they woke my sister and I up every night, but eventually, we got used to them moving around the room/house at night and we werent woken up by it anymore. Could you close your kids bedroom doors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Yeah, you do realize that once you get cats, the home becomes theirs, and you become staff?

But read this, and be happy you are not her!
    "Crazy Cat Lady" Hoards Hundreds of Felines in "Crazy Cat House:" Officials | NBC 10 Philadelphia
    What they said.

When we first got Leia, I felt like the parent of an infant...constantly getting up in the middle of the night for one thing or another. She chilled out a bit...but 3.5 years later, she still wakes me up sometimes...whether it be with her mouse toy wanting to play...or for no particular reason at all. I've just gotten kinda used to it.

Greycie was the same way at first...constantly trying to eat our feet and sneak under the covers to really nom on them. She still does it periodically, but gives up after a while and goes to sleep in this little basket on my nightstand.
  6. Senior Member
    I have two also. You have to not let them know they're getting what they want and they'll stop. the little one use to paw at me to wake me up for no good reason but when i started just keeping my eyes closed she stopped. Now when i wake up to go to the bathroom she follows me. They learn just like kids. If you let them know their behavior gets them attention even if its not love, they'll keep doing it.
    How old are the kids? old enough to explain?
  7. Senior Member
    I've got a cat but she's never woke me up in the middle of the night for no reason, at least not intentionally. She's my first indoor cat so I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't have any kids (yet) but when my future niece and nephew come over she's glad that she's got someone else besides me to play with, plays like a dog until she'll wear herself out sometimes. If I had a problem like that I'd probably do what Alilyoyo 1 said, don't give the bad behavior attention.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

The cat I had, and the dogs I have now....it takes a few nights, but generally pretending to be asleep makes them stop. They only harass/try to wake me if I give them what they want when they want it (attention at 5am). The first few nights suck but after that, they're all quite trained and even when I roll over, sit up and grab water, they wait to see if I'm "really" awake (aka making eye contact, petting them or playing with my phone). I'd either teach everyone to ignore them during the first few days, or I'd section them off so they only have access to your room, not the kids rooms.
  9. Senior Member
    We had to just banish them from our bedroom completely. Our door is always closed and B's room is closed at night. Otherwise none of us got any sleep, ever. Now my living room seems so incredibly full of cat, but at least we're sleeping.