Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet flight help!?

1. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict

Pet flight help!?

Advertisements
    Okay, I need advice.

Our cat will be traveling with us on the plane. We had the plan all set for him eating.

We will be leaving our house around 4 pm. We leave the airport at 4 am- and land at noon our time.

How would you feed the cat/deal with restrooms?
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Why are you leaving your house so early?

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    Why are you leaving your house so early?
    Because my family is driving me to the airpprt. I don't want them on the road late, it will be my mom and grandfather who are taking us. My mom has vision issues late at nifht.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Bring some of their regular dry food and a small bowl. Feed and water him at the airport. Have a towel in his carrier in case he needs to pee. Have an extra with you and some wet wipes.
    Use cheap towels in case they do get soiled, so you can toss them instead of carrying them for the rest of the trip.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

What is it's normal eating schedule? Food out all day or meal times? I would probably feed it in the morning and then not the evening you leave for the airport. Many animals don't eat when they're stressed anyway so just taking her in the car, to an airport, etc...could kill her appetite for a few days. I would have food with me for it, and maybe offer it (I keep typing her but IDK if it's a boy or a girl ) a few kibbles periodically. I would definitely offer water. As for accidents, I would take towels in her carrier and with you (to swap out) and big ziplock bags in case you do need to put a dirty towel in it. I'm not really sure what else you could do for her at airports and what not. I know for my dogs, they can hold everything but if it's an extra long day I do try to get them out to rocks or dirt/grass ASAP. Will the cat wear a harness, walk on a leash? Still may not be comfortable, cats can be so particular.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Also, do you by chance have a cat harness so you can let him outside at the airport?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Bring some of their regular dry food and a small bowl. Feed and water him at the airport. Have a towel in his carrier in case he needs to pee. Have an extra with you and some wet wipes.
    Use cheap towels in case they do get soiled, so you can toss them instead of carrying them for the rest of the trip.
    Thanks! I have some of his regular food and a bowl! We have puppy pads for him, both in his carrier and in our bags. As well as zip locks.

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    What is it's normal eating schedule? Food out all day or meal times? I would probably feed it in the morning and then not the evening you leave for the airport. Many animals don't eat when they're stressed anyway so just taking her in the car, to an airport, etc...could kill her appetite for a few days. I would have food with me for it, and maybe offer it (I keep typing her but IDK if it's a boy or a girl ) a few kibbles periodically. I would definitely offer water. As for accidents, I would take towels in her carrier and with you (to swap out) and big ziplock bags in case you do need to put a dirty towel in it. I'm not really sure what else you could do for her at airports and what not. I know for my dogs, they can hold everything but if it's an extra long day I do try to get them out to rocks or dirt/grass ASAP. Will the cat wear a harness, walk on a leash? Still may not be comfortable, cats can be so particular.
    He normally eats at 8/am and again around 5. He had a leash and harness- but this cat is silly and particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Also, do you by chance have a cat harness so you can let him outside at the airport?
    We do! It's in my bag!
  8. Senior Member
    To be honest, if it were me, I would find someone else to take you to the airport for both you and your cat. You are leaving for the airport 12 hours before your flight. That is going to be miserable for you and your cat to sit there for 12 hours. Unless you routinely take your cat places, it is going to be extremely stressed for extra time. Because of the stress, it is highly unlikely your cat will eat or drink when not at home. I get that you probably want your family to take you, but I think for everyone's happiness it would be better to leave much later. The trip is already taxing and LOOOOONG, let alone adding an unnecessary 8+ hours of time just sitting there.
  9. Senior Member
    I think the comfort of your cat is more important than keeping your driving situation the same. Even paying for a shuttle service would be better, if that's the only other option. It's not fair to your cat to add that extra time to his travel when you have other options. You are adding 12 hours to his time in a crate (even if he gets taken out for a "walk"). Poor guy doesn't need to endure that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member

We spent about 8hrs at BWI with our 2 dogs and it was miserable! You can't bring them in the USO so we ended up sitting at Sam Adam's, they had a half wall on one section so we sat the cart with our dogs there and we sat inside the restaurant on the other side. They were miserable and so were we.

I would definitely try and leave later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast