Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to expect when adopting through a rescue?

1. Senior Member

What to expect when adopting through a rescue?

Advertisements
    I sent an application to a golden retriever rescue here in Louisiana yesterday and last night they already emailed me to let me know they'll be calling my vet to confirm Finn is on heartworm preventatives. He is and always has been so I'm not really worried lol.

What does this process usually entail? I probably should have researched this a bit more before sending an application but I honestly didn't think they were going to respond so quickly.
  2. Senior Member
    It depends on the rescue. Some can be super anal, requiring home visits and all sorts of OTT shit, and others will just make sure you are a responsible pet owner (checking with your vet, maybe asking what you expect the dog to cost you each month so they know you aren't going to be shocked at the costs, etc.).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It depends on the rescue. Some can be super anal, requiring home visits and all sorts of OTT shit, and others will just make sure you are a responsible pet owner (checking with your vet, maybe asking what you expect the dog to cost you each month so they know you aren't going to be shocked at the costs, etc.).
    Yeah the application asked if I would be ok with someone making a home visit. I'm fine with it but I'm worried they'll reject me if they do. I mean we live on base so it's not like our house is huge and we have a fenced yard but it's not really big enough to play in. Finn is doing fine here and he gets plenty of exercise but I could understand if they'd rather find someone with more space.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It *really* depends - some places are strictly "by the book" as far as their requirements, etc - others evaluate each situation on a case by case basis to determine if the potential adopter has addressed concerns in a way that make the possible issue a non-issue -- ie demonstrating how the dog will be given ample exercise in situations where a yard may be smaller than what they "require", etc. for you!
  5. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing
    good luck. I dont know how it is in the states but my pooch is a rescue from spain. And they were pretty easy. The local shelter made a visit gave his ok and he was there with us 2 month later
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've been used as a reference before by my former roommate who was trying to adopt. They ended up calling me and asked quite a few questions about her. If you haven't done so already I'd line up a couple good references.
  7. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Don't be shocked if you get denied for being a military family. DH and I wanted to adopt from rescue before we got Zoe and we were denied because we were military. Which is sad. I understand why they do it, but they didn't even talk to us to find out how fit we are as pet parents. Heck Zoe has been going to doggie daycare from the time we brought her home and is still going when we are at work.

Hopefully the golden retreiver rescue in LA is better than where we were.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LACY1020 View Post
    Don't be shocked if you get denied for being a military family. DH and I wanted to adopt from rescue before we got Zoe and we were denied because we were military. Which is sad. I understand why they do it, but they didn't even talk to us to find out how fit we are as pet parents. Heck Zoe has been going to doggie daycare from the time we brought her home and is still going when we are at work.

Hopefully the golden retreiver rescue in LA is better than where we were.
    Yeah that's another thing I considered. Military families have a terrible reputation as far as pet ownership goes so I can't blame them if they use that against me. I won't be heartbroken over it, I can't say for sure I wouldn't overlook someone for the same reason.

I'm looking for breeders and trying to find a shelter around here as well, I just wanted to try the rescue route. It would be awesome to give a dog in need a loving home.
  9. Senior Member
    They're scheduling a phone interview with me sometime in the next few days!!
  10. Senior Member
    When we adopted our german shepherd, we filled out an adoption application with a ton of questions, once we were approved they wanted to see my current GSD's vet records (just to check for regular vaccines and HW preventatives) and talked to her vet. They also did a home visit and after we passed those, the coordinator sent us a few emails with available dogs that would fit with our family. We were ok with all of them, so they kind of just picked one and organized a transport to get him to us. We picked him up and took him home for a 2 week trial, and we could officially 'adopt' him at any point during that two weeks. He was a great match, so we made it official after about a week.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast