Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinchillas?

1. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.

Chinchillas?

Advertisements
    I might soon (as in, by the end of the year) be in a situation where I can consider getting a pet. While I would love a puppy, I just am not capable currently of providing a pup the standard of living (space, playtime, walk time, etc.) that I would want to, so that is out of the question. Cats are a possibility, and I still have not ruled out getting a cat from a local shelter. The cat smell bothers me some, though...

But when I was little I saw a chinchilla in a pet shop (poor thing), and fell in love. It was so cute and soft! So I was wondering... how are chinchillas as pets? How are the vet bills? Are they hard to take care of? Prone to many illnesses? Can you cuddle with your chinchilla, or do they basically want nothing to do with you? The one I met in the pet shop basically stood as far away from human hands as it could... but considering the circumstances, who could blame the poor thing? Are they generally standoffish?

If I travel and have someone come take care of a chinchilla, how often would they need to come by? Would a chinchilla be hyper-stressed if it is moved to live in another apartment for a month (bring it to a friend, instead of have the friend come over)?

Any other questions I should be asking, but am not?

Again, it is not something that will happen soon, but then, I don't consider pets impulse purchases. I want to make sure I would be capable of taking care of the furball, if I get one. So educate me.
  2. Senior Member
    I don't really know much about them personally, but this seems like a good place to start:

Owning a Chinchilla - Before you get a Chinchilla
  3. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Luci has a chinchilla, if I recall.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    They are adorable!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    They make great coats and hats, that's all I know about them.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    My old roommate had 3 male chinchillas. Basically if they grow up with people they can be fairly social. We would take the chinchillas out and they would hang out on the couch with us. Not like cuddle or anything but they would sit on our laps and explore the couch. They did like to cuddle with each other though. In the summer they needed temperature regulation so the AC was on to keep it at a certain temp. In the 3 years we lived together she never once needed to take them to the vet. The only thing she needed to do was make sure hair didn't get wrapped around the penis. They can be really messy since they like to move the shavings around a bit, and they poop everywhere, I think we vacuumed pretty much every other day. They were given food daily so I would say someone has to make a daily visit. They were pretty fun little guys!
  7. Senior Member
    Chinchillas are awesome!! They very rarely bite (unless you really scare them or if they're really young or if they've been mistreated).

Personally, I would either get a socialized adult one or a baby from a breeder and socialize it yourself. You can get really nice ones from the petstore... however, make sure that you handle them and if they are super skittish/nippy I would avoid them. If they are friendly, they'll probably stay friendly.

They get along GREAT with cats, they are very social so most people that I know that own them, own more than one. You can keep male/male or female/female pairs, males can be iffy if you don't get them at the same time and raise them together. I've been told that they are easy to litter-train, but I don't know that from personal experience, I've only ever really dealt with ones that friends owned and the ones that I worked with in the petstore.

Hope that helps!! They are a lot of fun if they are well socialized! Kind of like a cross between a rabbit and a cat! LOL
    I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

8. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    They make great coats and hats, that's all I know about them.
    Bad Asher.

You might also consider a ferret. I have a friend who thinks they're the best - not a furbaby I've had, but given her love, I have been thinking about one.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Bad Asher.

You might also consider a ferret. I have a friend who thinks they're the best - not a furbaby I've had, but given her love, I have been thinking about one.
    I babysat a ferret once for like 2 weeks... He stunk SO BAD! I kept it clean and everything too... but he was an un-neutered male, so maybe that was part of it. I know people who love them and claim they don't smell at all Just something to be aware of, mine stank!
    I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

10. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrestedTern View Post
    I babysat a ferret once for like 2 weeks... He stunk SO BAD! I kept it clean and everything too... but he was an un-neutered male, so maybe that was part of it. I know people who love them and claim they don't smell at all Just something to be aware of, mine stank!
    I've heard both ways. Given the way my dog smells, we're pretty resigned to stinky butt animals . . . . I've given up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast