Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They're here!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

They're here!

Advertisements
    The kids and I picked up our chicks today - well, most of them. We still have three little girls to add tomorrow since their shipment was delayed. At the moment we have a bakers dozen - three golden laced wyandottes (was supposed to be four, bur realized when we got home and started unpacking everyone from the box that one of them is actually a black sex link roo - really conflicted on that as we could take him back tomorrow but I don't know.......I really didn't/don't want a roo right now), two silver laced wyandottes, four light brahmas and three ameraucanas. Tomorrow we'll be picking up three buff orpingtons. My original plan/list has been altered to fit availability so I can brood everybody together and get it over with vs. having to start over with tiny babies again in 2-3 weeks.
    So far they're all doing good - eating, drinking and lively
    Only snapped a couple of pictures this evening as we were settling everyone in, and the lighting is funky due to the heat lamp, but here they are:

2. Senior Member
    Awwww!!!! Little bbys!!
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We've been fighting chick fever over here since the local store had some for sale and while we weren't ready to buy, it got us a bit more interested in considering it. I think for now we're waiting though. It makes me SO nervous to have a male, but all our neighbors that have chickens DO have a male. I suppose I should eventually ask them how it is/the reasoning behind it.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you Do you have a house (what do they call them? Roosts?) built for them yet? I'm fascinated by the different houses
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I love all the different coops people have these days - growing up we just had a plain ol' chicken house. As much as I'd love to build something super cute, I'm being practical so we'll be converting part of the barn into a coop for them. We'll be using what used to be our feed/tack room since the tack has been moved into the house in the spare room since last year, and we switched from square bales to round - the rooms been sitting there empty for a year. It will make a lovely home for them. DH will be building a run off the back of it over the next few weeks so by the time they are feathered out and ready to move into the coop it'll be ready for them. We'll free range them during daylight hours while we are home, and the run will allow them to be outside while we are at school/work during the day and still be safe.
    A lot of people use a roo to be a flock guard, want to hatch out chicks or just end up with one by either buying "straight run" chicks (basically a 50/50 chance) or with the 5% failure rate of sexing at the hatchery when buying pullets. I'm not interested in hatching our own chicks right now (loved it when I was a kid, but it seems a totally different thing now that I'm the adult, lol), feel pretty secure about flock safety without one and am not at all interested in the constant crowing - nor, do I imagine, are the neighbors - so, for us, a roo just doesn't make sense right now. It's kind of funny, because I was really wanting to pick up some sex links today and then saw that either the hatchery sent all roos or we had just been too slow and everyone else already picked out all the pullets, because the "straight run" of sex links was all male. I love them because they are the only ones you can sex by color at hatching since males have the spot on their head and females don't - so they are the one type that can be 100% accurately sexed, and we still ended up with one, and a roo to boot -- guess he must have somehow ended up in the wrong tank, and when they were boxed up for us they were all so busy crowding together and moving around under/on top of each other I never got a clear look at his head or he'd have gone right back before we ever left the building.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Got a couple of slightly better lit pictures of the girls today - they are already growing so much and getting stronger/braver. We added a small roost for them and they are having a ball playing "queen of the roost" - and have decided that feed from the hand is WAY better than feed from the feeder. It's hard to believe in a few short months these fuzzy little balls of fluff will be full-grown chickens and look TOTALLY different than they do now....or that in a couple of weeks they are going to be SOOOOO funny looking. We took little mister back and picked up a silver laced wyandotte girl in his place, so things are back on track with the plan of no boys allowed

Most of the girls cooperated and held still long enough for a picture - I see 13 1/2, so we're only missing two

One of the girls holding down the roost

So far we have named exactly two of them, out of 16 -- we have Mrs. Patmore, my little runt buff orpinton and Eleanor, one of the light brahmas (named for my great-grandma, lol)
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    they're so damn cute!!
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awww they're so cute and fuzzy!!
  8. Senior Member
    Awww.

Stupid questions ahead, but I know jack and shit about chickens. Do you plan to raise them just for eggs? Or meat? How does the egg thing work with no boys?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Awww.

Stupid questions ahead, but I know jack and shit about chickens. Do you plan to raise them just for eggs? Or meat? How does the egg thing work with no boys?
    Not a stupid question at all.

Yes, we are doing egg production only (and pets ) - I have done meat birds before, but am just not interested in butchering, etc at this point. The lovely thing about chickens is that hens will lay regardless of whether or not you have a male present. Their bodies are basically a constantly running conveyer belt of egg production with an egg going from start to finish in about 25 hours so they lay almost daily, with the exception of when they are in molt (shedding and regrowing feathers) or, with some breeds, during winter when the daylight isn't long enough to keep their bodies in the right cycle. The breeds we have chosen will lay The only reason one would "need" a roo is if they wanted to have fertilized eggs for hatching.
  10. Senior Member
    Interesting. Thanks!

I would fertilized eggs for hatching just so I had a never ending supply of cute fluffy chicks!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast