Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me stop my dogs from fighting

1. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Help me stop my dogs from fighting

Advertisements
    Elliot and Ghost have been getting into fights once or twice a week lately. It's not as bad as or anything like it used to be between Elliot and Sirius - when they fought, Sirius would just beat the crap out of Elliot for no reason and it would be impossible to stop him. With Ghost they'll be playing or laying together or whatever, and one of them will accidentally get too rough and then it's like a full out war. We usually step between the dogs or restrain them and they'll calm down in less than a minute, sniff/lick each other and then go back to being fine for several days or a week when it all happens again.

This was not happening before, really. Elliot was stand offish when Ghost first joined the family, but warmed up and they were very close. They got in one fight when Ghost was about 4 months old and Elliot bit his ear. They ended up immediately making up without anyone stepping in (maybe Ghost's bleeding freaked Elliot out?) and didn't get in a fight again for about 5 months. At that point, it was playing that turned into a fight. Two weeks pass without incident...and then we started this pattern where they fight at least once a week. So, that's been going on for a couple months now.

Ghost should be around a year old by the time we hit April. I don't know if now that's he's getting older he's testing Elliot's boundaries more or what's happening, but it's making me nervous. I really don't want them fighting like this once the new human person is here. I have never been hurt breaking up a fight (they mostly stop once they hear me tell them to and see me walking over) but today DH got bitten trying to separate them. I'd really like to put an end to this madness now. I don't think it's unfixable - they always give each other kisses after they fight and make friends again. I've noticed Ghost trying to hump Elliot more too so I'm assuming it's just a dominance issue. Elliot was dominant for the majority of the time Ghost has been here, but he was always more submissive with Sirius and I think Ghost senses his weakness or something.

I've got a couple articles I'm reading about aggression, dominance and dogs fighting, but anything anyone can add would be incredibly helpful!

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Are they both neutered? That is all I can think of besides getting a trainer involved . Hope it gets better!

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  3. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Yeah, they're both neutered. There aren't really very many quality trainers in Lawton unfortunately. I could probably go out of town a bit to get one, but if I can act as a trainer at home that would be ideal. I'm not working anymore and while we could afford a trainer, I would really prefer to set it aside for baby stuff, KWIM?

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by babyjingo View Post
    Yeah, they're both neutered. There aren't really very many quality trainers in Lawton unfortunately. I could probably go out of town a bit to get one, but if I can act as a trainer at home that would be ideal. I'm not working anymore and while we could afford a trainer, I would really prefer to set it aside for baby stuff, KWIM?
    Totally understand .

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    No one on the internet can tell you how to fix it since dog training is so much about seeing the dogs, getting to know their personalities and seeing subtle cues in behavior. We cant see that stuff and we will never see it. A dog trainer or animal behaviorist will be best to stop this from escalating, but I suggest not adding any more pets in the future while you have dogs that potentially have guarding issues (guarding any resource such as attention, a spot on the floor, a toy, food, a room- dogs guard lots of things).
  6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I would try to find a trainer to step in and help correct the behavior sooner than later since the baby will be coming soon. Only a dog trainer can truly tell you and help you get to the bottom of things before little human pops out. I know you'd prefer the money to go towards the baby, but technically in a way it will be for baby if you think about it. Since getting the dogs behavior under control will help ensure when baby comes home it'll be safe in it's own home when around the you and the pups(I added you in there since I'd assume the baby would never ever be in the room alone with just the pups. Lol)

That being said the one thought that comes to mind, but may not having any baring at all since I don't know your dogs personally. Has this only been happening recently as in like recently enough for you to of been pregnant when it started happening one a week? If so they could already be reacting to the changes they detect from you being pregnant. Some dogs can start behaving very strangely when their female owner is pregnant..
    Signature removed due to size.
  7. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Yeah, I don't plan to add any pets basically ever. I've got enough animals surrounding me. Elliot has never been a problem in the past so I'm surprised he's so snappish with Ghost. He's more of a lay down and roll over sort of guy.

I was mostly hoping for advice from anyone who has experience with dogs having dominance issues or resources about it that have helped. We are looking into trainers that can come out and observe the dogs at home but it's looking like it's going to be pretty pricey. Hopefully we can resolve the problem quickly do I don't totally drain my account dealing with this.

They are currently all cuddled up together acting like the best of friends so at least they get along most of the time I guess.

8. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

And yeah, it really did only pick up after I was pregnant. That may have some part of it, and if it does I hope they chill out. Most of the trainers in Lawton only do training outside the home. I feel like having someone who observes them here would be better since they've never gotten into any fights at the park or anywhere else we take them. It's just around the house when playing gets too rough so far.

9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head ... do they have a good "Look at me" type command? Something where they know to stop what they are doing immediately and turn to you? In the middle of a fight that's probably not going to happen but if you recognize signs leading up to it (play is starting to get too rough) or situations that have ended in a fight before and get them out of that zone maybe that could help? Clicker training might be good for that one if it's something you use already.

I know dominance theory is kind of outdated now ... I have heard really good things about this book though:
    Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog (Karen Pryor Clicker Book): Emma Parsons: 9781890948207: Amazon.com: Books
  10. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head ... do they have a good "Look at me" type command? Something where they know to stop what they are doing immediately and turn to you? In the middle of a fight that's probably not going to happen but if you recognize signs leading up to it (play is starting to get too rough) or situations that have ended in a fight before and get them out of that zone maybe that could help? Clicker training might be good for that one if it's something you use already.

I know dominance theory is kind of outdated now ... I have heard really good things about this book though:
    Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog (Karen Pryor Clicker Book): Emma Parsons: 9781890948207: Amazon.com: Books

If I clap twice the dogs stop what they're doing and sit. Even when they're in the middle of a fight they're pretty good about about stopping if I clap, say stop, and walk over to them. Tonight when my husband was physically separating them and they were being difficult for him they still stopped when I walked over and told them too. Maybe DH is the problem, now that I think about it

The issue is anticipating a fight - they seem like they come out of nowhere. Usually they play together and there are no problems, but sometimes out of nowhere it just kind of escalates. The fighting lasts for maybe a minute tops and then they calm down really quick as long as I'm not panicking about the fight. I'm just assuming that it's starting because someone is getting too rough - DH told me tonight's fight started really suddenly but that Ghost seemed to be the aggressor.

I always thought the dominance theory was disproved as far as humans needing to show dominance, but does it still go as far as the dogs showing dominant behavior with each other? I definitely don't do Cesar Millan methods, but if she's about a more gentle approach then the book is worth checking out anyway.

I found a trainer who will come to my house from OKC...for $175 for one 1 hour session But seems like a really good trainer with awesome reviews and comes highly recommended. Sooooo...I'll look for someone cheaper but this person is an option.
    I love my dogs, I love my dogs, I love my dogs. Just keep repeating the mantra so the thousands and thousands of dollars they cost me doesn't hurt as much

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast