Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Random Vet Question

1. Moderator

Super Random Vet Question

Advertisements
    We have a vet here that I love. Seriously. Best vet I've ever had for our animals. He was fantastic when Gus passed and he's great with our animals now.

So, the girl here in town was saying she would never use him as a vet because he doesn't have animals of his own, like at his house. She doesn't trust a vet, who doesn't have his own animals. Then, other people agreed with her. I find that really odd. This guy is the only vet at his practice. He will come in during emergency hours, is open on weekends, basically there whenever patients need him. Plus, at his office, he has lizards, birds, and cats...aka pets. But, she means pets at home. She specified.

I asked if she would never used a pediatrician who didn't have kids or an OBGYN that was male (or a female without kids), and she acted like that was crazy. She said that this obviously a completely different situation. I don't see the difference though.

So, my random question is, would you use a vet that didn't have pets at home?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yes I definitely would if they'd always been good with my animals and I liked him/her!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    We have a vet here that I love. Seriously. Best vet I've ever had for our animals. He was fantastic when Gus passed and he's great with our animals now.

So, the girl here in town was saying she would never use him as a vet because he doesn't have animals of his own, like at his house. She doesn't trust a vet, who doesn't have his own animals. Then, other people agreed with her. I find that really odd. This guy is the only vet at his practice. He will come in during emergency hours, is open on weekends, basically there whenever patients need him. Plus, at his office, he has lizards, birds, and cats...aka pets. But, she means pets at home. She specified.

I asked if she would never used a pediatrician who didn't have kids or an OBGYN that was male (or a female without kids), and she acted like that was crazy. She said that this obviously a completely different situation. I don't see the difference though.

So, my random question is, would you use a vet that didn't have pets at home?
    I'm with you, I don't see a difference. I look for two things in Vet's, that they work ok with people and that they are good with my animal. Having pets is not a criteria. There could be a million reasons why they wouldn't have an animal in their home.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Its actually not as uncommon as you would think. We love animals. LOVE them. We wouldnt spend 200k plus interest in loans to make 65k a year if we didnt. But the time to training, the effort they take when we spend 10-14 hours at work and we cant always bring our animals to work, so who walks them? Family allergies. And burnout. If you flip burgers at McD's does that mean you wanna go home and do it? Lol. And tons of us do. I mean, I cannot WAIT to get a dog. But not all of us do, some people want to play with animals at work and then come home to calm.
  5. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I'm with you, I don't see a difference. I look for two things in Vet's, that they work ok with people and that they are good with my animal. Having pets is not a criteria. There could be a million reasons why they wouldn't have an animal in their home.
    Right? It has never crossed my mind to not see them due to their own pet status.
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Its actually not as uncommon as you would think. We love animals. LOVE them. We wouldnt spend 200k plus interest in loans to make 65k a year if we didnt. But the time to training, the effort they take when we spend 10-14 hours at work and we cant always bring our animals to work, so who walks them? Family allergies. And burnout. If you flip burgers at McD's does that mean you wanna go home and do it? Lol. And tons of us do. I mean, I cannot WAIT to get a dog. But not all of us do, some people want to play with animals at work and then come home to calm.
    Our vet seems like he's always at work. It seems completely normal to me that he wouldn't have any pets at home. Plus, he has a ton of animals that live at the office. I would definitely think he would want a break. It doesn't change how I feel about him, one bit.
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I think that's ridiculous. He probably doesn't have animals because he doesn't have time to properly care for one. Or maybe he considers all his patients his own pets in a way, similar to how some teachers consider their students their own "kids". It doesn't make him any less of a vet. I had a teacher in high school who was great, but he hated kids He was still an awesome teacher.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Well, 1) It's none of her business what he does at home unless he's been convicted for animal abuse or something. It's a personal choice. 2) I think the fact that he doesn't have animals or there might be a pediatrician without kids may be more responsible considering the hours that he works.

I wouldn't care as long as they know their stuff and I believe that they are caring about my pet when it's the one in front of him.
  9. Senior Member
    i don't think i would ever even ask if my vet had pets of their own. i've been taking my yorkie to the vet back home for six years and i never knew she had a pet until i brought Finn to her and she told me about HER golden retriever.

it makes no difference to me. honestly it's probably for a good reason if he doesn't have pets of his own, maybe he would like to but knows he doesn't have enough time to devote to them.
  10. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I wouldn't care. I don't really like taking one single aspect of a person's life (like career) and making it an exclusive group who should all be the same. My undergrad program is kind of like that (I'm sure it gets worse when we get to graduate studies ) and it can be irksome.

ETA: Also, um yea, the military. I cannot tell you how "strange" DH is considered by military and non-military alike. No one would guess he's in unless we tell them (or they work with him ). It's not a big part of his identity, it's a job. Obviously that varies from person to person in every job.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast