Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: "Bad dog" and strollers...

1. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

"Bad dog" and strollers...

Advertisements
    I've posted in here numerous times about Lucy (my Aussie rescue) barking and lunging when she's on her leash and we see other dogs or people while we are out on walks. She is not in the least bit aggressive; she's just very vocal. She has/had gotten a TON better (thank you weighted backpack for the working dog ), but today is the first day I've been able to see our sidewalks in MONtHS and I'm afraid she will have lost everything we worked so hard to get! Which (even though it would be my fault ) would make me super sad.

My question is: I would LoVE to take the dogs on walks with the baby when she gets here...I'm just nervous about her antics and afraid she might accidentally pull the stroller over or something if she gets in one of her tissies...I was wondering what thoughts were on some "dry runs" of me taking them for walks with the stroller before the baby gets here or I anybody had any other suggestions?
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

2. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

I would totally take the pups walking with an empty stroller to help them get used to it. I think it's a great idea Once DH and I have a stroller we sill probably do that.

3. Senior Member
    I would totally do this. That way if you need more training you can start now.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I think practicing is an awesome idea. Since the baby is not actually in the stroller, you'll probably be able to be much calmer about corrections for the dog, making it a positive experience (for both you and the dog) and hopefully training the dog. I would think if you tried with the baby, you'd be anxious/emotional and upset/angry/frantic if the dog did do something that put the stroller/baby at risk of falling and when you're that emotional, it can get difficult to communicate effectively with the dog. *All you's are general of course! I'm putting a lot of my own dog experiences into thinking of how I react when I'm scared for someone's safety, vs when I'm calm and stable, not trying to insinuate anything about you personally being emotional hope that's coming across clearly.
  5. Senior Member
    I would definitely do some practice runs. Maybe look into a gentle leader if you can't get her calmed down before the baby gets here. I couldn't get our dogs to chill out enough to walk them both and the stroller at the same time so I'm thinking about a pair of gentle leaders for them.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysgal View Post
    I would definitely do some practice runs. Maybe look into a gentle leader if you can't get her calmed down before the baby gets here. I couldn't get our dogs to chill out enough to walk them both and the stroller at the same time so I'm thinking about a pair of gentle leaders for them.
    I think practice runs are a great idea!

And I second the idea of gentle leaders. A gentle leader completely changed how my dog and I's walks went. Here's a link to the one like what I have:

PetSafe Black Gentle Leader Headcollars - Gentle Leader Dog Collar - petco.com

At first, my dog was not receptive to it (he'd try to squirm away when I tried to put it on, or he'd try to pull it off). But now, he knows that as soon as I grab the gentle leader, we are going on a walk!! And then he gets really excited and holds still while I put it on him.

Think of the gentle leader like a halter. Where the head goes, the body goes.
  7. Member
    Be careful with the gentle leader if she is a lunger. They can cause neck problems if she is yanking too much.
    I use the easy walk harness. It tightens across the chest which corrects their pulling/lunging. My shepherd was HORRIBLE about pulling and jumping until we got her the harness. (The gentle leader also didn't work because she HATED it on her face.)
    Also the trial run with the stroller is a perfect idea!
    Survived deployment #1
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I think practice is a great idea for sure. Both with you and your DH so she can learn to be appropriate no matter who she is put with.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We practiced a lot but concluded that, especially now, it's easier for my to wear both kids (or one when it was just Wyatt) to walk the dogs. I didn't have to worry about the baby, had both hands able to control the dogs, and I wasn't rolling the stroller over my lab's feet anymore (admittedly not the best stroller driver; I will probably be the mom in Disney constantly running over people's toes and apologizing profusely the entire time )
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Gentle Leader! I have told you so many times, lady! It is awesome for our Aussie.

life's a party, rock your body