Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gretel update & Crate Question (link to pictures!)

1. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Gretel update & Crate Question Added Images!

Advertisements
    Back in October, DH and I adopted Gretel, an 11/12 week old German Shepard Puppy mix but the rescue wasn't exactly sure of her breed. After some research and talking with our vet (who we have seen many times due to Ruby's cancer battle and I just freaking love my vet. She is seriously awesome and helped me tremendously with Ruby's care) we think Gretel may be some sort of German Shepard/Australian Shepard/Cattle dog mix. She is now about 7 or 8 months old and 43 pounds. We work with a trainer for basic And intermediate obedience and her irrational fear of new people. Her fear if new people is pretty bad but we have made progress. I love our trainer, she is from Hawaii but actually went yo school in Jersey City, Nj very close to where DH and I are from. when we move back, she is going to give us some names of trainers to continue with Gretel. I don't know if that's standard practice but the trainer was very happy we are moving back to a place where she knows a lot of people.

I have an email into the trainer about this but I figured I would ask here while I wait. We crate train Gretel and for the most part has been great at it. We are regressing some but the trainer says that's normal because she is reaching her doggy teenage years. She picked up house training very fast and hasn't had an accident in the house since the middle of November, she picked up asking to go out very quickly without much training and can go about 8 hours overnight with out needing the bathroom.

Everry morning when I come down, the removable tray that is in the bottom of the crate, is out from under her crate and across the room. Every. Single. Night. She seems to enjoy not having a tray but I feel bad because it's a metal crate and the bottom has the as well. She has destroyed 3 beds in past 2 weeks, including the one we bought her the day we got her. I've been putting old sheets and blankets in there to provide some softness and I don't care if they get destroyed. Should I just take the tray away all together? Is sleeping on the wires really bad for her? Should I keep buying new doggy beds instead of using the sheets/towels? Is there anyway to get her to stop? My dog is a weirdo but that is an entirely different thread. I love her quirkyness thought.

We have a crate that looks like this

I Am posting a link to my Facebook Album of Gretel. It should be public. I have no real computer snd uploading images to photobucket on my ipad is extremely tedious You can also add me as a friend if you would like.

Gretel's Photo Album

I hope you all enjoy the pictures of one of my furbabies.

I added photos to post 15!
    Last edited by Katiebeth86; 02-15-2014 at 01:27 AM.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What kind of flooring is the crate on? That would play into what sort of sleep surface she'll have w/out the crate as wires on hard surface are more likely to cause discomfort than wire bottom on soft surface (imo). My other concern regarding the flooring would be w/out the tray she will likely just take to digging at the floor beneath the crate so you could have potential damage and flooring ingestion. To keep the tray in place just drill four holes (one in each corner) in the tray and zip tie the tray to the wires -- zip ties are cheap so if you have to cut them (ie to clean) you aren't out much by having to replace them.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Also - I would use blankets/sheets until she outgrows the bed destroying phase - a lot of pups go through that and most outgrow it (some, though, just never are able to resist the temptation ) The key on the blankets/towels is you still have to be vigilant about what she is doing with them if/when she destroys them - if she just tears them up, no biggy; if she's eating them, that's a problem.
  4. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    What kind of flooring is the crate on? That would play into what sort of sleep surface she'll have w/out the crate as wires on hard surface are more likely to cause discomfort than wire bottom on soft surface (imo). My other concern regarding the flooring would be w/out the tray she will likely just take to digging at the floor beneath the crate so you could have potential damage and flooring ingestion. To keep the tray in place just drill four holes (one in each corner) in the tray and zip tie the tray to the wires -- zip ties are cheap so if you have to cut them (ie to clean) you aren't out much by having to replace them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    Also - I would use blankets/sheets until she outgrows the bed destroying phase - a lot of pups go through that and most outgrow it (some, though, just never are able to resist the temptation ) The key on the blankets/towels is you still have to be vigilant about what she is doing with them if/when she destroys them - if she just tears them up, no biggy; if she's eating them, that's a problem.
    The crate is on tile. That is a great idea about the zip ties! DH is on a field op but will be back in a few days so he has a project for when he gets back. I'm not good with building things so I'd probably hurt myself in the process. Thanks for the idea!

Nope she isn't eating the bedding/towels/sheets just destroying it to death. She looked so, so proud when she destroys it. It's hard to stay mad at her for long.

5. Senior Member
    My dog HATED that liner for some reason. He never wanted anything in his crate with him at all. I finally just took it out and let him sleep on the wires. I don't understand how that was more comfortable for him than the tray, but whatever. We had all hard floors in that apartment and they never got damaged.

He also didn't like having a bed or towels or anything in there with him. He would crumple his bed up and lay under it instead so I just took that out too.
  6. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My dog HATED that liner for some reason. He never wanted anything in his crate with him at all. I finally just took it out and let him sleep on the wires. I don't understand how that was more comfortable for him than the tray, but whatever. We had all hard floors in that apartment and they never got damaged.

He also didn't like having a bed or towels or anything in there with him. He would crumple his bed up and lay under it instead so I just took that out too.
    I don't understand how sleeping on the wires is comfy to them, My dog is such a weirdo.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyatheart86 View Post
    I don't understand how sleeping on the wires is comfy to them, My dog is such a weirdo.
    Yeah idk what's so offensive about them. I would put Finn away, and come back like ten minutes later and the liner would be out and his crate would be across the house.
  8. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Yeah idk what's so offensive about them. I would put Finn away, and come back like ten minutes later and the liner would be out and his crate would be across the house.
    that is exactly what Gretel does. It ends up on the other side of the room. She must really, really hate the damn tray.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyatheart86 View Post
    that is exactly what Gretel does. It ends up on the other side of the room. She must really, really hate the damn tray.
    lmao one time, we left and came back and his crate was pressed up against the front door. his crate had been all the way in the kitchen at the back of the house, he had to angle it correctly to get it through the door into the living room, and then scoot it all the way up to the door. i couldn't even be mad.

but yeah as soon as i quit putting the tray back in there he quit moving his crate around.

she might be hot too. most houses in hawaii don't have central a/c, and the temperature in our apartment always felt fine to me but i think maybe it's because the plastic liner holds heat more than the tile does. i mean if you think about a big furry dog in hot weather it makes sense that they'd prefer to lay on a cooler surface!
  10. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

lmao one time, we left and came back and his crate was pressed up against the front door. his crate had been all the way in the kitchen at the back of the house, he had to angle it correctly to get it through the door into the living room, and then scoot it all the way up to the door. i couldn't even be mad.

but yeah as soon as i quit putting the tray back in there he quit moving his crate around.

she might be hot too. most houses in hawaii don't have central a/c, and the temperature in our apartment always felt fine to me but i think maybe it's because the plastic liner holds heat more than the tile does. i mean if you think about a big furry dog in hot weather it makes sense that they'd prefer to lay on a cooler surface!

Oh wow he moved it that far? Damn he must really, really hate the tray! That is impressive! if Gretel did that I couldn't be mad either.

We have central air since we live on base but maybe you are right and it's still too hot for her and she likes the cold tiles. I think for tonight I'm gonna take the tray away and she how she is in the morning. She doesn't seem to mind the old towels and sheets so I will leave them in there to try to provide some comfort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast