Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why won't my dog eat

1. Senior Member

why won't my dog eat

Advertisements
    Finn like, never eats since we moved here. He used to be like this in Hawaii too but since he got fixed he's had a huge appetite. Back at my grandparents' house he was being fed 4 cups a day (what his food recommends for a dog his size) plus whatever he managed to steal from their dogs, also once we caught him with his head in the food back and who even knows how much he ate that time.

We've been here for a little over a month and he seems totally happy and normal. Idk if food is just less appealing now since he knows it's always gonna be there, or what. He doesn't seem depressed, he isn't sick, his activity level has dropped a bit but not enough to where it makes sense to me that he's never hungry. He literally only eats like a few bites of food a day now. Sometimes in the middle of the night he'll get up and go eat, but most days I don't even have to refill his bowl.

He's a really smart dog, he knows what "go eat your food" means but he'll go over to his bowl and just lay down and stare at me. The only way I can get him to eat is if I hand feed him a piece of food first, and he usually just drops that on the floor a few times before he'll actually chew it and then he'll eat maybe a bite or two out of his bowl. He's drinking the same amount of water as always, somehow he still poops like eighty times a day, and the only treats he gets are baby carrots and ice cubes (which he also just drops on the floor) so it's not like I'm ruining his appetite by giving him treats all day. There's nowhere he could possibly be stealing other food from and he's with me every second of the day so it's not like he could sneak anything anyway.

I just filled his kong toy with his food and sealed it in with peanut butter and he seems to be eating it, so maybe I could make a game of it? IDK I just want my dog to eat! He's only 63 pounds (probably less now that he's been starving for a month) and his vet thinks he's skinny as it is. I don't want him to lose more weight. What do I dooooo!
  2. Senior Member
    How are his teeth? I know my first dog wouldn't eat dry food because his teeth hurt. You could try adding water to his food to soften it. Have you changed the kind of food you are giving him?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    How are his teeth? I know my first dog wouldn't eat dry food because his teeth hurt. You could try adding water to his food to soften it. Have you changed the kind of food you are giving him?
    His teeth are fine, I brush them a few times a week and the vet just checked them and didn't mention anything.

I used to change his food every few months in Hawaii and it never helped anything. Plus he's been eating the same food for over a year and he liked it just fine at the old house.

I'm wondering if maybe he only ate so much over there because there was competition? He'd eat his food as fast as possible and then try to steal food from the other dogs. Maybe now that he knows his food is always gonna be there it's not as appealing.
  4. Senior Member
    That could be it. More of a I don't want anyone else to have it so I'm going to eat it kind of thing. Where do you have his bowl? I have strange animals who won't eat by themselves. I have to be in the room with them.
  5. Senior Member
    Dixie doesn't eat sometimes She just isn't feelin' it sometimes. She's been like that for a while. I wouldn't worry if there aren't any other symptoms like lethargy.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    That could be it. More of a I don't want anyone else to have it so I'm going to eat it kind of thing. Where do you have his bowl? I have strange animals who won't eat by themselves. I have to be in the room with them.
    i know that's part of it too, at first i put it in the kitchen so it would be on a hard surface (plus i was trying to recreate the old house) but he wanted to be with us. so then i moved it to the living room, which worked a little, but not much. we just got new furniture though and our couch makes him nervous, so he wouldn't even go near his bowls and i moved them to the dining room, so he could eat when we do. but he'll only eat if i sit on the floor next to him. obviously i can't always do this.
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I'd be inclined to believe it was a competition thing, it doesn't sound like he's giving you cause for worry in other areas so maybe now that he knows no one is stealing his food he's not worried about scarfing it down? I'd be worried if I saw him losing weight because then he's not eating enough to sustain himself but short of that I would be too concerned unless his activity level dips to a concerning level or he stops drinking water. Maybe mention it the next time you're at the vet with him?

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    i know that's part of it too, at first i put it in the kitchen so it would be on a hard surface (plus i was trying to recreate the old house) but he wanted to be with us. so then i moved it to the living room, which worked a little, but not much. we just got new furniture though and our couch makes him nervous, so he wouldn't even go near his bowls and i moved them to the dining room, so he could eat when we do. but he'll only eat if i sit on the floor next to him. obviously i can't always do this.
    Sounds like he could just be trying to figure everything out. When I move my dogs are a mess. Basket cases for a good month solid. Their training goes out the window and they just go crazy. Have you ever tried putting his food down only at specific times? Like he gets food when you eat? I let mine eat whenever they want but that might motivate him to eat while you can see exactly how much he is eating.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    I'd be inclined to believe it was a competition thing, it doesn't sound like he's giving you cause for worry in other areas so maybe now that he knows no one is stealing his food he's not worried about scarfing it down? I'd be worried if I saw him losing weight because then he's not eating enough to sustain himself but short of that I would be too concerned unless his activity level dips to a concerning level or he stops drinking water. Maybe mention it the next time you're at the vet with him?
    i'm hoping it fixes itself before we go to the vet again, i mean i don't think this is any reason to take him in since nothing else seems odd and he shouldn't have to go until like june or so when he needs more flea/heartworm meds.

i don't see how he could possibly not be losing weight. he's still very active, he doesn't run around the yard with the other dogs anymore but we take him out back to play almost every day unless the weather is bad or we're not home. and even then i spend basically all day throwing his toys around the house for him. i wanna weigh him to see but i don't have a scale.
  10. Senior Member
    I would do set feeding times and only leave the food out for about 15 minutes. If he doesn't eat it, it gets put away until next feeding time. He will figure it out in a few days that he needs to eat when the food it out or he will have to wait. That should get him on a more regular schedule. Then you will know how much he is actually eating. If he is eating far less than the recommended amount it could be a sign that something is up, health-wise.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast