Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cat is grooming non-stop

1. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Cat is grooming non-stop

Advertisements
    My cat has been licking, scratching and nibbling himself like crazy. We decided to put him on Advantage II for fleas, as a result. He is indoor only and it's winter, but I read it's a good idea to keep him on flea treatment year round.

I applied the first dose on the 20th. Some of it dripped down his fur. I thought most of it made it on the skin, but maybe not, because he is still grooming like crazy. I haven't seen any fleas, but he's acting like he's nibbling at them. And licking his butt, but I can't find any worms.

I'm tempted to give him another dose of Advantage II, because it seems like I might have gotten less on his skin than I hoped/thought. But I am afraid of overdosing him. What should I do?

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I wouldn't give him more than the recommended dose without consulting your vet. Especially if you don't see fleas or flea dirt or any other evidence of fleas.

I would take him into the vet. Excessive grooming could be a sign of anxiety or illness and I would want to get him checked out to rule those out.

Is he harming himself with his grooming, pulling out clumps of hair or licking spots bald by over grooming? Have you checked the skin where the medicine was applied? Is it irritated or inflamed?
  3. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I wouldn't give him more than the recommended dose without consulting your vet. Especially if you don't see fleas or flea dirt or any other evidence of fleas.

I would take him into the vet. Excessive grooming could be a sign of anxiety or illness and I would want to get him checked out to rule those out.

Is he harming himself with his grooming, pulling out clumps of hair or licking spots bald by over grooming? Have you checked the skin where the medicine was applied? Is it irritated or inflamed?

to all above the above and mainly to the bolded.

I gave my cats flea medicine and one of them had a reaction it. Poor girl was going crazy being itchy and everything from it. Took her to vet just to make sure she was fine, and after a shot to deal with the inflammation, and a few baths to try and get everything off of her, she was fine.
  4. Senior Member
    he might have dry skin from the cold dry air.
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Thanks guys! He looks completely normal—no skin irritation or clumps of fur missing. I'll give the vet a call.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I wouldn't give him another dose either. His skin may be dry from the dry winter weather and itchy, so that's why he grooms himself more.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

This is what I was going to say... my cat has anxiety and one of her many tells is excessive grooming.
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    This is what I was going to say... my cat has anxiety and one of her many tells is excessive grooming.
    That's good to know. Thank you.

He just spent several months at my parents house, which is almost 4 times the size of our house. I definitely think he's bored and irritated. To top it off, I can't find his rubber mouse, which he lost a couple of days ago. It's his favorite, and he gets anal when it's missing. Maybe he is also anxious and confused. I'll hold off on the next dose of meds until it is the proper time, and call the vet to see if they think he should come in.