Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help

1. Senior Member

I need help - Update Post 11

Advertisements
    Please be kind. I'm falling apart and feel like a complete failure, so I could really use help not judgement.

I need to rehome my puppy.
    Antagonism has crossed the line to violence too many times and it's no longer safe to keep them together. Tonight it took me and DH to break up a fight.
    They're both really good dogs, they both just need to be in single dog families.

I don't know if I bring myself to take him to the shelter. They're a no kill shelter, and he would be treated well. But I'm afraid I'd be condemning him to a life in a 4x6 cell; adoption failures don't have a great track record of being adopted. DH agrees this should be a last resort.

I wish my dad could take him. But I don't know how much he is traveling for work these days, and there's the challenge of moving the puppy cross country (though that's not impossible).

I'll call our trainer tomorrow to see if they have any ideas.

(Don't worry, I know craigslist is out of the question. I love this dog, I wouldn't risk his life like that)

Any other ideas? I don't know where to turn next. I'm absolutely heartbroken over the whole situation.
    With crates and such, I can keep them separate and safe for the time being, but it's not a long term solution.
    Last edited by HazeGray; 01-19-2014 at 09:14 PM.

2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm sorry but I don't remember all the details about your pets ... would a breed specific rescue be a possibility?

If the dogs are incompatible it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Crate and rotate is a good solution, but for the vast majority of people and pets, it's not a permanent one.

I hope your trainer has some good ideas for you too.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I'm sorry Is he purebred enough for a breed rescue to take him?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    I am so sorry. I think your trainer is a great place to start! Maybe you could ask around with close friends as well.
  5. Senior Member

He's a mix breed. Best guess is a shepherd/kelpie/maybe a touch of rottie mix. About a year old, and about 49 pounds.
    He's a total love bug and will do anything to be touching you (which is a big part of why I don't think he'll thrive in a shelter environment).

6. Senior Member
    Did he come from someplace that will take him back or that requires you to give him back if you can no longer keep him?
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I know you probably saw it since it's stickied, but we put a lot of resources in this thread too:

Rehoming pets - please read!
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

How long have you had both the dogs?

I worked at a no kill shelter and while not all the dogs adapt well, most of them do just fine and only stay for a short while. There was only one dog (out of hundreds) that did not adapt well at all to the shelter and extreme measures had to be taken. All sorts of people come in looking for dogs, and many are willing to accommodate the one dog in the family requirement.

Rehoming obviously is a difficult topic, but I will say that one the best reasons I know of to rehome is when the animal/s in question will have a better life because of the rehoming. For instance, if the first pet is content and living happily, but a second pet comes in and makes pet #1 miserable. Obviously there's always lessons to be learned for the future, but if you don't think professional training with both dogs would help, and they're just going to constantly have altercations that cause tension and stress in the house, I would absolutely think the appropriate measure to take would be a no kill shelter.

ETA: I'm not sure where you're getting your info on adoption failures having bad records of successful rehoming. In my experience there is HUGE success in it, and often it really is just a matter of the family and the animal not fitting each other. We had a black lab come to our shelter. He was purebred, two years old and was given up because the parents had gotten him for their 16 year old daughter. Now she was going away to college, and the parents refused to keep the dog while she was at school (). Okay, so whatever. We got like twenty applications for him, and the lady in charge of adoptions decisions went with an older couple (around late 50s, 60s) who had previously owned a black lab. They seemed great. A month later this dog was back in the shelter. Why? Their first black lab had been mellow, calm, and laid around a lot. This black lab was energetic, and wanted to follow them around everywhere. They literally said it annoyed them to have the dog follow them into the kitchen to make a sandwich, and so they had to bring him back. Failed adoption, but when he got adopted a second time, he stayed adopted. Probably to a family who found his following around endearing, and had a more realistic idea of what a young lab is like (I'm thinking the older couple had just forgotten the puppy years with their first).
  9. Free!
    Free!
    Around christmas we were watching a German Shepherd (Shadow) for my brother's friend. When she first came Lily and her were both kind of wary of each other and broke out into fights a few times. We figured that Shadow was feeling insecure and not sure of her place in the family. For us we spend a lot of time in the kitchen and the dogs always get bits of what we cook. For the most part we kept them separated but when it came time for cooking we started with keeping them on a leash and teaching them to share and wait their turn for food. By the end of the 3 weeks we were able to keep doors open and they could pass each other without it breaking into a fight. It was still tense but they were getting use to each other.
    Have you noticed what triggers the fights? Like for Shadow and Lily it was getting stuck in a small space.
  10. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

My dog is a twice rescued dog and I wouldn't trade her for the world. Someone dumped her at the shelter overnight on their property. After being there awhile, she was adopted by an elderly woman who kept her for about two weeks before bringing her back. Said she was "aggressive" and too hyper. She's not the least big aggressive; she's just very vocal and wants to be friends with EVErYBODY and it can look like she's lunging aggressively, but she just wants to play . I'm so glad the lady brought her back because she is seriously an amazing dog and perfect fit for us.

There's someone out there for your pup. Maybe you could talk to the shelter about being your dogs "foster" while they look for a home to place her (him?) in. Less stress for all of you. Good luck!
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast