Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Service Dogs Overseas

1. Regular Member

Transporting Service Dogs Overseas

Advertisements
    DH and I are going to try get BOP to Europe this year. I'd love to go, but I'm very concerned about how we would transport our 2 dogs. Our little one (yorkie-poo) is a registered Emotional Support Animal for me. I have the paperwork and I've checked the rules for ESA's on domestic airlines. I would need a letter from a mental health professional stating my pup's purpose within a year of the flight for her to fly in-cabin. I'm a patient with the MH clinic now so that's no problem, plus she's only 9 lbs so she should be able to ride in-cabin anyway. Our big boy, a Golden Retriever, is my main concern. My baby cannot be kenneled. We tried crate training him as a baby and he was TERRIFIED. It was awful - he does not like confinement. There is no way in hell my baby is going in cargo - I would literally have a nervous breakdown. I'm a PTSD patient, and thus qualify to make him a service dog, which is different from an ESA. As a service dog he can ride in cabin with us without any paperwork at all so long as he is wearing his vest. Does anyone have experience transporting service animals? I have major anxiety over this. My dogs are my kids and if something went wrong or something happened to them I wouldn't be able to handle it. Thanks.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any experience but I wonder if you would even be cleared to go? People with depression or Asthma are not cleared to go to certain duty stationed because they are limited on treatment options. I would assume someone who would need to support that you would might not be approved. Are you in the EFMP?

Either way, I sure hope that everything works out for you!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I don't have any experience but I wonder if you would even be cleared to go? People with depression or Asthma are not cleared to go to certain duty stationed because they are limited on treatment options. I would assume someone who would need to support that you would might not be approved. Are you in the EFMP?

Either way, I sure hope that everything works out for you!
    This. We just recently had someone post whose daughter was in counseling over something very minor and wouldn't get overseas clearance. So I would start with your own clearance first.

Aside from that, I have seen service dogs fly in cabin. Otherwise, if your pet doesn't fit in a crate under your seat, they have to fly cargo. Are you looking into both of them flying as your service animals in cabin? If so, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the limit is 1 service animal per passenger.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    This. We just recently had someone post whose daughter was in counseling over something very minor and wouldn't get overseas clearance. So I would start with your own clearance first.

Aside from that, I have seen service dogs fly in cabin. Otherwise, if your pet doesn't fit in a crate under your seat, they have to fly cargo. Are you looking into both of them flying as your service animals in cabin? If so, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the limit is 1 service animal per passenger.
    A limit is definitely something I'm worried about. And I'm a little concerned about the mental health aspect too. I'm not EFMP though. A good friend of mine is EFMP with a couple different MH diagnoses and she was cleared to Aviano, as were there 2 autistic children.
  5. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AFWife4319 View Post
    A limit is definitely something I'm worried about. And I'm a little concerned about the mental health aspect too. I'm not EFMP though. A good friend of mine is EFMP with a couple different MH diagnoses and she was cleared to Aviano, as were there 2 autistic children.
    You will likely be enrolled in EMPF when you attempt to go through The screening.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    EFMP is mandatory for everyone who has any kind of health issue that requires on going more than routine care and if your expecting orders I suggest you get enrolled as soon as possible.
    AO's do not like it when the member throws out the Special needs card after orders are issued.

requirements change all the time for Overseas care- this is based on availability of services at the time of the transfer the severity of the illness and the area.

what is allows at Aviano is completely Different that what is allowed at Stuttgard...
    and what was approved last week may not allowed this week.

for the service animals there is concern whether you have to take the patriot express or a civilian flight as the rules can be very different.
    also some airlines do not allow crated dogs in the cabins because the flights are too long.
  7. Senior Member
    With your issues, it is extremely unlikely you'd be cleared to go overseas. In your situation, both do to that and to your concerns about the animals, I would not even try to go OCONUS. Then, you won't have to worry about any of it.

If your husband asks to go OCONUS and gets the orders, and then they find out about your issues (and the fact that you weren't enrolled in EFMP), they aren't going to be thrilled.

And generally (and more and more so), even people on basic treatment for anxiety or depression are denied for OCONUS. The military's resources in those areas are so taxed that they can't guarantee they'd be able to provide treatment, and they want to keep spots open for the soldiers (et al), not fill them with dependents. With PTSD and the need for 2 service animals, I'd be pretty surprised if any OCONUS base would clear you.

Also, remember that when OCONUS, US rules and protections for those using service animals don't apply. You are subject to local law. Most of Europe is very dog friendly, but if their rules about service dogs are different, you'll need to follow them. So when might be allowed in the US might not necessarily be allowed in Germany. Or Japan or England.

And lastly, this is just a guess, but I think quarantine rules would still apply. So consider what that would be like for you and your animals, and how you'd deal with being without them if they have to be in quarantine for a while. Places like Hawaii and England are super strict with this since they are rabies-free islands.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    If you some how got England, you could always take a cruise. One cruise line transports animals, but they have to be kennels. There is no getting around kenneling when coming overseas. And England animals have to go cargo.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    If you some how got England, you could always take a cruise. One cruise line transports animals, but they have to be kennels. There is no getting around kenneling when coming overseas. And England animals have to go cargo.
    Only Cunard has kennels in their cruise ships. I believe it is still only the QM2 that has kennels. Cunard is not an inexpensive cruise line and space in the kennels fill up fast. It is a possibility though, we have done it that way twice.

If you were to fly, I cannot see how you can get around the problem of having two dogs. The dogs need to go in the space under the seat in front of you or at your feet. There would be no room for the two dogs.
  10. Senior Member
    Agreed, there is no getting around kenneling unless it is a service dog that you can take on the actual plane. I would probably just start crate training him now. Feed him in there, treats in there, everything good comes from the crate (with the door open, closing the door is the very LAST step to take when crate training).
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast