Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Letting your dog on the bed....

1. Senior Member

Letting your dog on the bed....

Advertisements
    Just curious how many people let their dogs on the bed or couch? And overnight...say if your spouse was deployed, would you allow your dog to stay on the bed overnight? Zoey has discovered our bed but won't go up there when my husband is around. I know it's going to be hard to keep her off of it when he's not around. Just wondering if I'm being too lenient with her? She hasn't made a habit of getting on our couches in the living room, just the bedroom. Last night she got up on my couch, I took her off but she jumped right back up. It was late and I couldn't keep pulling her off, so I let her stay there, just kept waking up to make sure she wasn't destroying it.
  2. Senior Member
    My dogs growing up and DHs growing up were allowed on both. Now we have our own dog and he's allowed on both and sleeps with us at night. I mean I guess I knew some people who didn't let their dogs but everyone in my family growing up always did so that's normal to me.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Our yorkie is allowed to sleep on the bed provided that she stays at the foot of the bed on her little blanket there although with the baby in bed, she's preferring her floor bed since she gets bothered less when we're getting up and down with Emmett (yeah, she's got little dog syndrome and is high maintenance needs her beauty sleep ). Now, our lab is not allowed to be on the bed when DH is home because regardless of having a king, that's just nuts With Emmett in bed now, I won't be letting Charlie on the bed when DH is gone, again, because of my own comfort. Both dogs are allowed on our couch and Julia (yorkie) can lay on my recliner with me at my feet.

I grew up with dogs sleeping in bed with me so I'm just used to is and DH married into it but I know lots of people who don't allow it. I think it's a dog-by-dog basis and person-by-person basis on if you're spoiling or being too lax with them.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Our dogs are not allowed on the couch, though we are not as strict as we should be and lots of movie nights end with the two older dogs up there . No dogs on the bed when DH is home just because the dog that isn't crated at night is far to big. He knows though that if one of us is gone the bed is fair game.
  5. Senior Member
    My baby goes where I go. I didn't get a dog to banish him to the floor lol. He's allowed on all the furniture and he sleeps in bed with us overnight too. It's annoying sometimes when he steals my spot and makes himself unmovable dead weight but mostly I like him there cause we spoon
  6. Senior Member
    I just hope she learns to just sleep during the night and not fuss (seriously good practice for having a baby though I guess). haha. it was cute because in the morning when I was still on the bed, she had to sit on hubby's side. when i got up for the bathroom she moved to my spot. I can see her sleeping there when he's gone. Lol. Actually, she's totally allowed on our couches but she hasn't wanted to in months. strange. I would love to cuddle with her. lol. So good to know i'm not being a bad dog mom. Zoey has her own beds though...I would never make her just sit on the floor. She needs the cushion. I'm thinking about making her a bed out of a crib mattress because I think she likes that kind of cushion better than her beds.
  7. Senior Member

Dog - free access to furniture
    Puppy - recliner chair if he wants, and bed only at night.

8. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    We let our dogs up on the "human" couch but only when they are invited. We have people over often and I know that not everyone enjoys sitting with a huge dog in their lap. We also have an "animal" couch that is just a smaller futon that they are allowed to be on whenever they want. As far as the bed our dogs are to big to be up there sleeping with us. They have beds in the bedroom and sleep on those at night. When ever I travel back to Oklahoma I take our older dog with me and DH sleeps with the younger one in the bed cause she spoons . When I get back we just go back to how it was before, she has no problem adjusting.
  9. Senior Member
    My dog wasn't allowed on the bed. But now that I'm going through a divorce he sleeps on the bed with me every night. Although I'm reconsidering it because he moves around so much and I wake up with him practically on my back. He is allowed on the couch, but I have them covered with blankets.
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    My dog sleep in his kennel at night. However , during the day when Dh and/or I am here Denny(the dog) is allowed on the sofa, bed, and wherever we are. He also knows not to jump onto anything unless he is invited up with us. Which is nice because if we want to do a move night with the t.v. trays out. We don't have to lock the dog in another room or his kennel just so we can eat our dinner. He knows better than to jump up next to us and try to grab a bite. (It helps when we eat we also give him his wet canned food. Then his doggie ice cream... So he very calmly and happily stays on the floor.)
    Signature removed due to size.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast