Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My roach colony

1. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

My roach colony

Advertisements
    So we have two leopard geckos and I prefer to feed them dubia roaches rather than mealworms or crickets. Crickets can bite, they make noise and they smell. Mealworms are mostly exoskeleton and using them as feeders poses a big risk for impaction. Dubia roaches are by far the best reptile feeder, they have a bigger ratio of meat to shell, they don't bite and they're just plain healthier for the reptiles. They can get expensive to buy over time but are super easy to breed and raise, you feed them fresh fruits and veggies, give em some heat and they breed. I have about 500-600 right now of varying sizes from teeny 1/8" babies to full grown adults. They are the coolest little things. Tonight I went to grab a few to feed the geckos and oldest ds and I got to watch one of the nymphs finish molting into an adult female. The males have big wings (but don't fly) and the females have little wings. Here's some cool pics.

Tearing up some cucumbers, the ones with the wings are adult males and the other ones are nymphs of various size/age

Ds with a few males on him

Some roach love going on. The female is the one on the bottom, you can see she has tinier wings.

The freshly molted female from tonight. They are white when they molt and super soft but will turn brown in a day or two.

Her cute lil face

The exoskeleton. Notice no wings, she was a large nymph until this molt.

2. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

I love spiders. I love snakes. I love grasshoppers, and pretty much anything else people usually mind. But I HAAAAAAAATE roaches!

You BREED them?! AAAAAAGH! er
  3. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    wait so like... people have roaches on purpose?

4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Cool! I raised some Madagascar hissing roaches for a semester for my entomology class It was fun, they loved oatmeal!! Do yours reproduce too fast though? Seems like the geckos wouldn't eat enough to keep up with all the new roaches that are born!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    No no no no no!!!
  6. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Ugh!!!!! :shudder
  7. Senior Member
    AAAAAAAAHHHHH! I work at a school in GA and every time I open my storage closet, I have a mini heart attack as the palmetto bugs come crawling out. I understand why you have them and breed them, but.......eeeeeek!
  8. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic! View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

I love spiders. I love snakes. I love grasshoppers, and pretty much anything else people usually mind. But I HAAAAAAAATE roaches!

You BREED them?! AAAAAAGH! er

Lol they aren't like American cockroaches though, they're blaptica dubia, where as the cockroaches you find in trash and stuff are periplaneta americana. Totally different species, genus and even family. These are also known as the guyana spotted cockroach. They cannot climb smooth surfaces so a steralite container with packing tape around the top and a secure lid is all you need to keep them. They need warm temps so even if they did escape they would die off pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Cool! I raised some Madagascar hissing roaches for a semester for my entomology class It was fun, they loved oatmeal!! Do yours reproduce too fast though? Seems like the geckos wouldn't eat enough to keep up with all the new roaches that are born!
    I want some hissers as pets!!! They're so cool! Each female has about 30 babies a month. My geckos eat 2-3 large nymphs a day, more if I feed smaller so I can kind of tailor it to balance the colony out and if they start breeding too quick all I need to do is turn the heat down, they won't breed under 90 degrees. I change up what size I feed so as not to deplete one particular size nymph too much. Some days they'll get 20 tiny ones, other days they'll get a couple large ones. I try to feed off the male nymphs when possible too and let the females mature.
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I also have the option of selling them if the colony gets too big, I can easily sell 100 mixed size for $20+ Hell I paid $27 with shipping for 500 smalls when I first started feeding them then I was like oh hell no, spent $50 on the established colony someone was selling and now no more buying food.
  10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

This is pepper, one of the geckos that enjoys munching on the roaches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast