Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dwarf Puffers

1. Senior Member

Dwarf Puffers

Advertisements
    For Christmas, I got a new fish tank that I'm setting up for dwarf puffers
    I've been wanting and researching them for years, and finally have the facilities for them.

I'm trying to decide if I want to try a couple oto cats in the tank too (I've read conflicting information about whether they have to be in a species only tank or that otos make good tank mates).

Hopefully I can set it up to start cycling tomorrow

Anyone else ever have dwarf puffers?

2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I thought "dwarf puffers" was some new kind of recreational drug done with midgets or something. Then I saw it was in Pet Pad.

I admire fish and would love a huge gorgeous tank but I am HORRIBLE with fish. Let's just say that turning down the heat is the opposite direction from turning up the heat and I'm an idiot who didn't know the difference so last time I had a tank I ended up with a 10 gallon tank of scorched fish soup. No fish for me!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What size tank are you setting up for your puffers? That would play into whether or not I'd add the otos
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Are you familiar with the keeping of otos? There is a pretty common misconception that they are these super easy little fish - but to truly thrive their keeping is actually quite a bit of work, especially during the initial transition phase, as they are a wild caught fish, when you are trying to get them to move from a straight algae diet (supplying enough algae is harder than you'd think) to accepting other vegetable matter - and some otos never do make the transition so you are left trying to supply the constant grazing of algae they need (dedicated keepers actually grow algae on rocks that they cycle in/out of the habitat tank and an algae growing container). Additionally, "a couple" is really not the best number of otos to keep - they are best kept in a small group (ie 5-8). If you consider the amount of work DPs require and then the amount of work happy/healthy otos will require....well, only you can decide if that is the tank you want to keep.
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I didn't have those, but I two some awesome box fish in my 55 gallon saltwater tank when I was a teenager (along with many other creatures/fish). They look similar and were very cool… but the whole tank was a lot of work! I had the saltwater tank for several years, but had to give it up when I left for college. I don't know much about freshwater.
  6. Senior Member

I've had otos before, and they did really well, but yeah putting them in my DP tank wouldn't let me have as many as I would need for happy otos.

7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by .pistachio. View Post
    I didn't have those, but I two some awesome box fish in my 55 gallon saltwater tank when I was a teenager (along with many other creatures/fish). They look similar and were very cool… but the whole tank was a lot of work! I had the saltwater tank for several years, but had to give it up when I left for college. I don't know much about freshwater.
    Saltwater is my someday dream. Once we buy a house, the plan is to install a big reef tank.