Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do I need to know about cats?

1. Senior Member

What do I need to know about cats?

Advertisements
    DH and I are considering adopting a kitten. The kitten and I have taken very strongly to each other, and the family who owns him is thinking he may not be a good match for them. We still have to get it approved by our landlord and see if we can afford it, but it has been a very long time since I have had a pet (like, 12 years) and I want to make sure I do it right. This will be a forever home for this kitten, if we do decide to adopt him.

What do I need to know? What do I need to have? Are there books I can read? What should I expect? It's just DH and I, no kids or other pets.

TIA!!!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Kittens are pretty easy. If she's litterbox trained, most of the work is done. They are pretty good about knowing where to go. Just make sure you keep it nice and clean for her. I hope it all works out and you can get her.
  3. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

This is a good article to read: Bringing A Kitten Home - Tips On New Kitten Care | General Cat Articles
    I've grown up with cats, but haven't had a kitten in a LONG time so I researched a bit out of curiosity Hope I helped!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Kittens are pretty easy. If she's litterbox trained, most of the work is done. They are pretty good about knowing where to go. Just make sure you keep it nice and clean for her. I hope it all works out and you can get her.
    I think he is...he's in a home with a lot of kids and other animals so I would be surprised if he wasn't. Thanks, I hope so too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
    This is a good article to read: Bringing A Kitten Home - Tips On New Kitten Care | General Cat Articles
    I've grown up with cats, but haven't had a kitten in a LONG time so I researched a bit out of curiosity Hope I helped!
    Oh awesome! Thanks so much! I love reading up to prepare for things
  5. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Quote Originally Posted by roxieluvs View Post
    I think he is...he's in a home with a lot of kids and other animals so I would be surprised if he wasn't. Thanks, I hope so too!!

Oh awesome! Thanks so much! I love reading up to prepare for things
    I read a lot of prepare for things too
  6. Moderator

All you need to know is that The Cat is in charge, and nothing you do will change that. Even when you get your way, it's only because The Cat allowed it.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    All you need to know is that The Cat is in charge, and nothing you do will change that. Even when you get your way, it's only because The Cat allowed it.
  8. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post

SO true!
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Is it a boy or girl?
  10. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Mine wakes me up in the morning by meowing when he's hungry. He constantly loses his toy mouse under the furniture and meows until it's rescued.... And he sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night playing with my Chapstick, if I leave it on my nightstand.

Other than that, I feed him, empty the litter box, take him to the vet for shots, and flea treatment. Other than that, he's easy... And so cool. We love him to pieces.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast