Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog has developed a BAD habit.

1. Senior Member

Dog has developed a BAD habit.

Advertisements
    So, my MooMoo is a rescue who is very affectionate and normally pretty well behaved. I got her a year ago and she was already housebroken and hardly had an accident at all before she got used to her new surroundings. However, in the last few weeks she has suddenly started peeing on the bed! She has PLENTY of opportunities to go outside and pee. She has a dog door, and when I'm home she can come and go as she pleases. I go home at lunch to make sure she has a chance to go out. If she's alone for 5 hours, that's the max, and she goes longer than that without peeing when she's sleeping at night. She doesn't have any health issues, so this is a behavior problem. My theory is she gets distracted when she's outside (chasing squirrels, barking, looking around) and forgets to go.

I need some ideas on how to correct this. Right now she's barricaded in the kitchen when she's alone so she can't get up on the bed.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I know you said she "doesn't have any health issues" - but when was she last vetted and has she been to the vet since this behavior started?
  3. Senior Member
    She was at the vet for a checkup in the last two months. If it continues she will be going back.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If it's only the bed, why not just close the bedroom door vs. having to barricade her into the kitchen? Just seems like that would be the simpler approach. I would try that and if she found a new place to express her feelings I would go ahead and either barricade to the one room or crate.
    When she first peed on the bed were you aware of it and able to clean it before it soaked through to the mattress? It may be that now that she did it once the scent traces are drawing her back even though you have cleaned the bedding itself - the mattress can hold scent deep and in a way that your nose may not be picking up on it.
    It may be that some sort of outside stimuli is causing her to pee in reaction - ie noise (a person has had similar experience and realized it was prompted by the noise of the garbage truck making weekly rounds) or a sight (ie kids going to/from school, a particular vehicle that passes your home, etc) - that is a stressor to her and she is going to the bed/room to feel safe and then relieves herself as part of that.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Is it JUST the bed, or elsewhere too? I just wouldn't let her on the bed anymore unsupervised, at least not for a while.
  6. Senior Member
    Close your door ^^.
    Had a similar issue, except it was in the bedroom carpet. Might be good to take her on leash and making sure she isn't distracted when it comes to potty time.
    Also, is there a specific place she likes to potty outside?

And, might want to think about crate-ing her while you're gone if possible to avoid other potential accidents.
  7. Senior Member
    She has also gone in the hallway, so it's not just the bed. Ergo, even with the bedroom off limits, the problem exists. I was watching her at lunch today while she was out in the yard for a good 45 minutes and all she does is wander around. No peeing. So I need some way to encourage her to pee when she goes out, first thing. I've thought about taking her out on the leash until she goes, but she can wander around aimlessly on a leash just as well as she does without it. I've had dogs my whole life, some with major medical problems, and none of them ever forgot to pee when they went out!
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Have you tried training her to a potty command? Sounds like that might be useful so you can ensure she goes outside before wandering off and forgetting.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Senior Member
    Have you tried training her to a potty command? Sounds like that might be useful so you can ensure she goes outside before wandering off and forgetting.
    That idea sounds like a winner.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
    She has also gone in the hallway, so it's not just the bed. Ergo, even with the bedroom off limits, the problem exists. I was watching her at lunch today while she was out in the yard for a good 45 minutes and all she does is wander around. No peeing. So I need some way to encourage her to pee when she goes out, first thing. I've thought about taking her out on the leash until she goes, but she can wander around aimlessly on a leash just as well as she does without it. I've had dogs my whole life, some with major medical problems, and none of them ever forgot to pee when they went out!
    I'm a bit - your OP made it sound like this was an issue during a period of time she was home alone and you were not there. That caught my eye because my first answer was going to be to leash and use a cue for potty (making potty time business and THEN allowing play time), but that would not help if/when you are not home and she is going out on her own. So, this is happening when you are home?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast