Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dog wants to sell puppy

1. Senior Member

Dog wants to sell puppy

Advertisements
    I think if it were up to my dog, she would sell the puppy...
    They get along fine and will play together. But I think she misses being the only dog (she is 7 years old, she lived with three other dogs until she was about 3)
    Before you all jump on me, I have no intention of rehoming the puppy.
    However, I need ideas for how to ease my dog's jealousy. Like I said, they get along fine, but she looks so sad whenever the puppy gets attention. Any ideas?

2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aww! Butters had to go through an adjustment phase when we got Bella, too.

One thing I try to do is special little outings, because then they get attention without the other dog being around to fuss about it. Like the other day DH wanted a milkshake, so I let Butters come with me to the McDonald's drive through because it was his turn. He loves going through drive-thrus. Lately Bella's been getting extra attention because she needs medicated shampoos, so that's been kind of her "alone time" with me and DH.

If they do get attention in front of each other I just try to make it equal. Like if one of them comes over for pats, usually the other one too so I'll pat them both at the same time, stuff like that.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I sometimes feel that my dog is the same way. She just is not very fond of our puppy (he will be one in February) because of how hyper and chewie he is. Poor girl does anything she can to escape from him. She misses being the only dog, but when she is an only dog, she misses having a friend. She is a frustrating doggie, to say the least.
    I hope your doggies adjust soon!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    How long have you had the puppy? How did you do the introduction? How much individual time/attention are you providing your older dog on a daily basis?
  5. Senior Member

Sushi and Bento are jealous of each other. They get the same amount of attention but act like they are so neglected.

They are also jealous of Aria, Bento more than Sushi. They don't attack her or anything they just act needy when we play with her. Bento will even walk up to Aria and put his head in her hands so she can pet him.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    We just got a new puppy too, and my Golden is 9 years old. He is still very playful, but the puppy is just too much energy for him I think She wants to play and he just walks away. I feel bad for him, but I think once he adjusts to her, he will be fine. I take him by himself to the dog park or dog beach (he loves the beach especially) so that's our special time together. She is too little to go anyway, so it works out. I also give him special treats.
  7. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

I gave Elliot treats anytime he was nice to Ghost He is very food motivated, so he's pretty much always nice to Ghost now. I still can't pet one without the other coming to get in on the snuggles, but that's fine.

Elliot used to straight up hate Ghost, too. Like wanted to murder him, kind of hate. Things got better tho!

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If you crate, make sure you keep each dog's crate "sacred" - especially the older dog's - meaning that the puppy doesn't go into the dog's crate so that the dog knows that "his" space is still his. This also provides a refuge for if/when the pup is just getting to be too much - knowing that he has a place to escape to can really help to lessen the older dog's level of frustration.
    As long as it's just the "funny" jealousy (meaning not violent) I wouldn't worry too much about it. Our dogs are STILL jealous - not just each other but of the cats or just about anyone/anything that isn't them getting the attention (especially my attention), most especially Jethro the one that's been with us the longest and seen usurper after usurper join the clan. I can be scolding someone else and Jethro gets jealous because I'm paying attention to them and not him (he will start thumping his tail on the floor and vocalizing to get my attention - if that doesn't work he flips over on his back and starts doing a doggy breakdance - if that doesn't do it he will get up and start moving around and then either get a toy and start clowning around or he'll wedge between me and whoever is getting my attention).
    I make it a point to see that each of our pets gets their own little block of time every day so if/when one of them starts acting jealous I know there's nothing to it because they get their share too.
  9. Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas.

There isn't any aggressive behavior that makes me worried. (Otherwise I wouldn't be joking about her trying to get rid of him)
    The puppy is crate trained. My dog doesn't use a crate any more, but she has a chair that is just hers. I'll make sure the puppy doesn't try to use it.
    We've had the puppy about 4 or 5 months now. We did introductions offsite before bringing him home, and like I said, they get along fine.
    We do keep them separate when we're not home.
    I definitely will try to get her some more alone time or outings. She likes car rides, so even just a short trip will probably help some.
    And, when he is in trouble, she definitely freaks out... As if she has to make sure that you know that she's not being bad too
    Last edited by HazeGray; 12-17-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Cell phone typos