Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bella's yeast infection came back :( (pics and a question!)

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bella's yeast infection came back :( (pics and a question!)

Advertisements
    Sally I think it was that asked, yes dogs can get them and this is the second time I"ve had to take her! It's all over her skin and her belly is red and crusty.

She has to have anti-fungal shampoos and she's taking the same pill people take when they get it lol (diflucan).

I just feel bad for her because she had one back in October and she was miserable then too.

Quick question though for vet/dog people! The vet gave her an e-collar but she's really strong and can get it off. They said that might happen, and that if I need to I should buy a 5 gallon bucket, cut the bottom out, and make her wear it. That just sounds a little ... weird to me. Is this a thing? It won't be too heavy for her? And how do you even cut the bottom out in the first place?

Bella says thanks for reading! I tried to cheer her up but she's been really sad since she got sick. On the plus side though she's lost four pounds since October!!

2. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Awww poor baby. She is so cute!
    I have no advice but I would think a bucket wouldn't be that...safe or fun? Plus cutting it would give it sharp edges no? Can you get a cone?
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by gogogadgetsam View Post
    Awww poor baby. She is so cute!
    I have no advice but I would think a bucket wouldn't be that...safe or fun? Plus cutting it would give it sharp edges no? Can you get a cone?
    I got the cone but she pulled it off, it had little plastic bits to hold it together and she broke them. The vet said she might do that.

And yeah I kind of had the same thoughts about the bucket! I'm not too worried about it right now because she's being really good and she doesn't really lick or bite at her infection. She didn't last time either. So she might not even need one, but if she does I thought the bucket idea was strange.
  4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    totally think the bucket thing is just weird. LOL.

I would keep the cone for just in case and use duct tape or something to keep it on. She's adorable!
  5. Senior Member
    I would steer clear of the bucket. I think it would be waaaaay too heavy.

E-Collar Alternatives: 5 Pet-Friendly Substitutions For The Cone Of Shame

I like some of these approaches better. Do you think Bella would respond well to any of these?
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    I would steer clear of the bucket. I think it would be waaaaay too heavy.

E-Collar Alternatives: 5 Pet-Friendly Substitutions For The Cone Of Shame

I like some of these approaches better. Do you think Bella would respond well to any of these?
    I had thought about maybe getting a shirt for her to wear that will cover her skin. She does have a topical spray too and maybe it'd be good to keep her from licking it (the only time I have to really watch her). The only concern I have is that it might hold in too much moisture and be bad for the yeast infection. Maybe I'll call the vet and ask about that!
  7. Senior Member
    We have a dog that would take the cone off too. We have a comfy collar, which is a bit softer and I could fold it back when she was eating rather than having to take the whole thing off. The comfy collar has elastic loops to connect it to the regular collar. Since our dog could get the two collars off together, we put a harness on her and attached the comfy collar to the harness. She couldn't take off the comfy collar that way. (But don't do what I did and when she stops licking just take of the collar but leave the harness so you can easily put it back on. It was not a good idea because she chewed through the harness.)
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Oh gosh, she's gorgeous! I am no help with the issues, my dogs have always been okay with the cones. The bucket sounds really strange, I'm thinking you could put weather stripping or something for the edge, but it still seems heavy. I would try a shirt over that. Even though it will hold some moisture, if it's a breathable material it should be OK (I'm thinking when people get yeast infections, or thrush in the mouth, it's a constantly moist, dark, contained area and they still manage to get rid of it most the time, so a shirt shouldn't be too bad (?)).

Over: meaning preferably, not like...a bucket with a shirt on top
  9. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Poor Bella!! Thank you for sharing the info, Tojai. I had no idea that could happen.
  10. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

for Bella!

for e-collar ideas...my cat is supposed to be wearin one and can't keep the stupid thing on
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast