Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Any other Golden Retriever owners out there?

1. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides

Any other Golden Retriever owners out there?

Advertisements
    Our approximately 1 year old Golden has quite a personality, which has made the process of training her verrrrry interesting. She's highly distracted, has trouble with rule association, and to make matters worse, she keeps trying to eat her own mess. She's pretty prone to accidents because she doesn't always focus enough to use the bathroom when she has to go, so she has an emergency later and has an accident. Any other MSOSers with Golden Retrievers who can share training experiences/advice?

ETA: We rescued her in July, so I'm not sure what she may or may not have been trained before. She came directly from Animal Control.
    Last edited by Sarahcuda; 12-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    I have a golden retriever but he's never had these issues. have you talked to your vet about it?

Does she have a potty command?
  3. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I have a golden retriever but he's never had these issues. have you talked to your vet about it?

Does she have a potty command?
    She does, and she'll respond to it if she isn't distracted. Even if we go outside and stand with her (repeating the command), she'll sometimes mess around for ten or fifteen minutes before she'll finally focus and go. We haven't spoken to a vet about it yet.

Also, unlike the other dog, we can't really let her just walk around outside by herself until she goes, because she'll start snacking or digging.

It's been eleven years since the senior dog was a puppy, so I am really out of practice with all this, also.

Oh, and she's a rescue, so we've only had her since late July. I'm not sure how ingrained her habits are at this point, or what she was taught before.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I have a golden but never had any issues like that with him. He has always been pretty focused and responds well to commands.
  5. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    I have a golden but never had any issues like that with him. He has always been pretty focused and responds well to commands.
    Ah, that's disheartening. I'm really hoping there's not something deeper going on with her.
  6. Senior Member
    Is she going to the bathroom in the same area every time? We're dealing with our dog having accidents inside as well.
  7. Senior Member
    None of the problems mentioned are breed specific. But I have some links for you!

Check out these kikopup videos (and her other videos are amazing too!)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=kiko...ding+attention

Links for poo eating:
    Coprophagia (Eating Feces) | ASPCA

How to Deal with a Dog Who Eats Poop - Whole Dog Journal Article

As far as the verbal cue for going potty, if you are saying it over and over again, she is not trained to the cue, she just so happens to go after you say it. If it takes 10 minutes the cue means nothing to her, you are making the connection, not her.

Stand and wait. When he starts to go, say “go potty!” or “do it!” or “hurry up!” or whatever verbal cue you ultimately want to use to ask him to go to the bathroom. If you consistently speak this phrase whenever your pup starts to urinate or defecate, you will eventually be able to elicit his urination or defecation, assuming, that is, that he has something to offer you at the moment. Being able to put his bathroom behavior on cue is an added bonus of this method of housetraining, and a very handy one when you’re late for a date, or it’s pouring rain or freezing cold outside!
    A quote from this article - Teaching Your Dog to Eliminate on Command - Whole Dog Journal Article

Hope that all helps!
  8. Senior Member
    Yes, it does sound like she doesn't know or understand the command, so I'd work on that. Also, is she asking to go out, or are you taking her out because you think it is time?

And for the poo-eating, in addition to the stuff Biggy posted, you just need more supervision. If you are watching her, then you can stop her immediately.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Quote Originally Posted by kms51211 View Post
    Is she going to the bathroom in the same area every time? We're dealing with our dog having accidents inside as well.
    Every time but once she has had an accident by the door leading out to the dog yard, and the other time was in the doorway of the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    None of the problems mentioned are breed specific. But I have some links for you!

Check out these kikopup videos (and her other videos are amazing too!)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=kiko...ding+attention

Links for poo eating:
    Coprophagia (Eating Feces) | ASPCA

How to Deal with a Dog Who Eats Poop - Whole Dog Journal Article

As far as the verbal cue for going potty, if you are saying it over and over again, she is not trained to the cue, she just so happens to go after you say it. If it takes 10 minutes the cue means nothing to her, you are making the connection, not her.

A quote from this article - Teaching Your Dog to Eliminate on Command - Whole Dog Journal Article

Hope that all helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yes, it does sound like she doesn't know or understand the command, so I'd work on that. Also, is she asking to go out, or are you taking her out because you think it is time?

And for the poo-eating, in addition to the stuff Biggy posted, you just need more supervision. If you are watching her, then you can stop her immediately.

Thanks for the links and tips! I didn't realize that I was saying it when I sent her out, instead of when she actually peed, so you're definitely right that there is probably no association there. As for the snacking, I'll work on more supervision. She's really inconsistent, it occurs about once every 3-5 weeks, but is gross enough that I'd like to stop it completely.

Furthermore, it turns out that her leg (which was broken when we adopted her), never healed correctly (we found out today). I'm not sure if it had a correlation to her lack of focus, but we'll see when she comes home from the vet.
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Butters is part golden but we haven't had quite the issues you're describing. He came from a pet store (ugh), so we had trouble getting him to learn that it's ok to pee/poop on grass and he doesn't ALWAYS have to have a hard surface. Even now he is like almost 4 and he still likes to poop on the street/sidewalk/patio instead of the grass. I think that is because of how he was raised rather than the breed though.

I really like the idea of the potty command and the supervision! There's also some sort of additive you can put in food that makes the poop taste bad, but some dogs eat the poop anyway and it sounds like her issue isn't that severe.

Poor leg though! If she's been in pain from it that may have something to do with how she acts. I hope she's ok.