Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggie outings...

1. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Doggie outings...

Advertisements
    For those of you with more than one dog, do you have one dog you take out more than others or one you take and leave the other at home?

We have my Aussie rescue from the pound, but she's such a barker and lunges at people because she gets so excited (not aggressive at all)...we've tried everything and worked with trainers, but it's such a pain to take her out because of her behavior.

Apollo, our 1.5 year old pup that we've had since he was 12 weeks, is so much better and I don't mind taking him places with us. However, Lucy (who LOvEs her crate) whines and barks whenever we take Apollo with us (we're currently on our way to the vet with him) and I feel guilty leaving her begin. Usually, if we can't take both, we don't take either.

We would love to be people who take our dogs places, but Lucy is just such a brat it's more hassle than it's worth and not relaxing, but I hate leaving her and taking just Apollo
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Z goes out more than Jethro or Bogey. I feel zero inclination to take Bogey out with me (he's DH's dog and while I don't dislike him, he and I are not bonded like I am with Z or Jethro). Jethro likes car rides, but doesn't much enjoy things once we get somewhere because he is not a fan of crowds or people he doesn't know. It was pretty clear when we adopted him he had not been well socialized and we've worked to rectify that but he just doesn't enjoy it so I see no point in continuing to force the issue on him. Z LOVES going out and about....she has issues with getting car sick, but once you get somewhere she has too much fun seeing new places and new people.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the same predicament as you, Cooper is super laid back and easy to take places and Bella is crazy and hyper. I would love to take Cooper to Petsmart and stuff but feel bad only taking one dog so we end up leaving both at home.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Bazinga* View Post
    For those of you with more than one dog, do you have one dog you take out more than others or one you take and leave the other at home?

We have my Aussie rescue from the pound, but she's such a barker and lunges at people because she gets so excited (not aggressive at all)...we've tried everything and worked with trainers, but it's such a pain to take her out because of her behavior.

Apollo, our 1.5 year old pup that we've had since he was 12 weeks, is so much better and I don't mind taking him places with us. However, Lucy (who LOvEs her crate) whines and barks whenever we take Apollo with us (we're currently on our way to the vet with him) and I feel guilty leaving her begin. Usually, if we can't take both, we don't take either.

We would love to be people who take our dogs places, but Lucy is just such a brat it's more hassle than it's worth and not relaxing, but I hate leaving her and taking just Apollo
    You've tried everything, including a prong collar? They look scary, but they help the dog self correct. Both of mine wear them out, just because they're 90 pound dogs and any pull, would pull me to the ground.
    Also, the more you take your Aussie out, the more seeing new people and new places will become the norm and she should stop wigging out at everything. If there's a park nearby take her everyday, it will take a while for her to get used to it and chill, but it'll happen.

Our boy has confidence issues and gets really nervous in new situations.. I never take him somewhere alone unless it's to the vet. When we take them out together, our girl acts as his "therapy dog" and he just follows her lead and does really well. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old, and she used to go everywhere with me, so she's fine going out alone.
  5. Free!
    Free!
    When we had 2 dogs () we'd take them both everywhere. Lily is a barker but a sweetheart so we'll correct and then tell people that she friendly but likes to yell her life story to everyone . Once she gets over to meet the dog or person she'll be quiet. The one time I left Callie at home and took Lily she was sooo pissed. She made sure after that to be downstairs around the time I'd pick up dad.
  6. Senior Member
    Lexi can/will go anywhere with us, she's the "good one." Dixie is still verrrrrrrrrrry much a puppy, and while her behavior is good, she just doesn't have the doggy bladder to go far in the car. Heck, even on a 5 minute trip back from the pet store she peed in the car after we'd walked her before we left the house, before we went into the store, and before we got back in the car to go home.
  7. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    We sure do. Lex our older dog is super mellow and will ignore just about everything around him, we often take him to the beach and he will swim or nap in the sand or with us to pet stores. Although when he is around Seka (the pup) he becomes very dog aggressive. Seka on the other hand is very dog friendly but she lunges and jumps at/on people all the time so the beach is a nightmare (she also hates water). So what we usually do is if we go to the beach we will either the day before/after take her to a really nice fenced dog park here or we will take her dog daycare or have someone baby sit while we are at the beach. Seka cries bloody murder if they are separated and Lex will just chill out on the couch if he gets separated from her, he is much more concerned about what we are doing than where she is going. Really when its not beach weather we just take them out to places that are not very full of people and dogs.
  8. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    I will separate them, but only rarely because they're bonded to each other. The senior dog adores car rides, so it's a massive guilt trip to leave him at home and take her, and I feel just plain bad about leaving the younger dog at home by herself. I usually bring both of them when space permits.
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Gentle Leader!

life's a party, rock your body
  10. Regular Member
    I have two dogs. They are both rescues and I don't have a lot of details about their past experiences. My larger dog is extremely fearful of strangers and is very uncomfortable in group situations. Our smaller dog loves everyone and everything. He is my running partner so I will often take him to the soccer field or the park leaving his buddy at home. They both get tons of love, attention, and exercise just in different ways.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast