Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: After neuter inquiry

1. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

After neuter inquiry

Advertisements
    We got Ghost's nutballs snipped. It was done yesterday and we picked him up today. They told us to keep an eye out for excessive licking...here's my question: What is excessive? Elliot never licked his nutballs at all, before or after they were snipped. Ghost has always had a weird licking fascination with his crotch. Now that he's sackless, how does his normal constant licking translate to excessive?

We are just stopping him every time we catch him right now, but I didn't know if I should be concerned

2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bajingo View Post
    We got Ghost's nutballs snipped. It was done yesterday and we picked him up today. They told us to keep an eye out for excessive licking...here's my question: What is excessive? Elliot never licked his nutballs at all, before or after they were snipped. Ghost has always had a weird licking fascination with his crotch. Now that he's sackless, how does his normal constant licking translate to excessive?

We are just stopping him every time we catch him right now, but I didn't know if I should be concerned
    excessive is constant like never stopping. I'd keep an eye on the surgical area and if you see the wound opening up or swelling then I'd be concerned. Stopping it everytime you see it is a pretty decent thing to do IMO.

3. Senior Member
    Did they not give you a cone for him to wear? I would call the vet and let them know that it his habit to constantly lick himself and he has not changed his habits and ask for a cone to prevent licking while he is healing.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

We did not get a cone.

We gave him a kong, so now he's pretty much completely forgotten about licking himself. The pain pills make him sleepy so after he's done with the kong he'll probably just pass out for a while. I'm not super worried since he will have constant supervision for the next week and I can stop his licking. It's not like...constant. He just licks for a while every few hours. I'll just keep discouraging it.

5. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    I wouldn't let him lick them at all for 7-10 days.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    I agree. It could cause an infection and could cause the incision to open. Good luck!
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    I agree. Also, you can buy a cone for like $10-15 at petsmart/pet....what's the other one called? I have one I purchased for my little bear when she had an anal gland lanced. I liked it better than the super hard plastic white ones (it's green, and a bit more flexible!).
  8. Senior Member
    not just excessive, I wouldn't let him lick at all. He could rip that sucker open. Or at the very least, since I'm assuming he's shaved, it will cause the skin to get very raw without any fur protecting it when he licks. My pups both had supervision during the day as well after surgery, but at night I put a cone on them just to be safe because I obviously can't watch in my sleep.
  9. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

He hasn't licked much. We've been distracting him with toys and when he lays down he will go to lick but if one of us pets him he stops and just falls asleep. He's passed out now so we are good for the night. It's looking like he won't need a cone but if he gets out of hand then we will pick one up tomorrow. So far I don't think it's a problem tho. He seems less inclined to lick now than he did prior to getting snipped