Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Digging Holes

1. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Puppy Digging Holes

Advertisements
    Gretel recently started to dig small holes in my front lawn. They aren't deep but there's at least 10 them. Her digging the holes has disturbed the bugs in the ground and they are all over the place. She then goes and eats some of the bugs. I'm worried that the bugs could make hr sick and or start to come inside my house, especially the roaches snd waterbugs. : pukey

Is there a way to get her to stop digging these holes in the first place? Or get her to stop eating the bugs? Or both?

2. Senior Member
    watch her while she's outside.. get a spray bottle, spray her with water when she starts digging and redirect her with a toy

Don't make the chasing her around with a spray bottle a game though
  3. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by z32chick View Post
    watch her while she's outside.. get a spray bottle, spray her with water when she starts digging and redirect her with a toy

Don't make the chasing her around with a spray bottle a game though
    I've tried the water bottle with other bad behavior and it backfired on me She enjoys being sprayed with water and just continues what she is doing. I will try sitting outside with her to try and stop her from digging.

4. Senior Member

Some people find that burying a layer of dog poop in the hole will deter digging.

5. Senior Member
    I use a Sonic Pet Trainer. It literally looks like a garage door opener and I keep it handy for bad behaviors. Humans cannot hear the sound that the device emits but animals hate it! It's the only way my dog will stop his bad behaviors. Spray bottle and all the other devices never worked. All I have to do is point and click and he immediately stops and runs. The only thing I don't like is that it scares him, but I rarely have to use it. If I walk near it or pick it up he stops misbehaving.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Some people find that burying a layer of dog poop in the hole will deter digging.
    we did that. Of course then they just abandon that one hole and dig elsewhere I've found the habit went away as they got older.

I don't know about the bugs. For me personally, I don't mind. I know that my dogs eat all sorts of weird shit when they are outside and I have no control over it As long as it's not like copious amounts or if you don't really have poisonous crawly things in your area, I personally wouldn't worry.
  7. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    Our dog suddenly started digging holes in our back yard. She'd get in there and want to tunnel and we had to be careful or we'd get hurt (those were some deep holes).
    Ends up we had moles in the back yard and she was trying to get the moles! I don't know how we got them to go away but they did.
  8. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    I'll give that a try. I don't know if it'll work since I've caught her eating her poop a couple of times as well as eating poop from the cat litter. My puppy is gross.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    I use a Sonic Pet Trainer. It literally looks like a garage door opener and I keep it handy for bad behaviors. Humans cannot hear the sound that the device emits but animals hate it! It's the only way my dog will stop his bad behaviors. Spray bottle and all the other devices never worked. All I have to do is point and click and he immediately stops and runs. The only thing I don't like is that it scares him, but I rarely have to use it. If I walk near it or pick it up he stops misbehaving.
    I never heard of that but it sounds interesting. I'll definitely look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    we did that. Of course then they just abandon that one hole and dig elsewhere I've found the habit went away as they got older.

I don't know about the bugs. For me personally, I don't mind. I know that my dogs eat all sorts of weird shit when they are outside and I have no control over it As long as it's not like copious amounts or if you don't really have poisonous crawly things in your area, I personally wouldn't worry.
    You right and I shouldn't really worry about her eating the bugs. She has eaten her own poop and cat poop before and survived just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateAndrea View Post
    Our dog suddenly started digging holes in our back yard. She'd get in there and want to tunnel and we had to be careful or we'd get hurt (those were some deep holes).
    Ends up we had moles in the back yard and she was trying to get the moles! I don't know how we got them to go away but they did.
    Are there moles in Hawaii? I think she is digging to get to the beetles and other bugs that are in the grass. I read that digging could be a sign of boredom, so I'm going to start adding a third walk and or make our walks longer.

9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyatheart86 View Post
    I'll give that a try. I don't know if it'll work since I've caught her eating her poop a couple of times as well as eating poop from the cat litter. My puppy is gross.
    If you add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pie filling) to her food, she'll stop eating her poop (I forget why, but it works). We freeze pumpkin in a nice cube tray and then give it to the dogs either with their food or as a treat.

10. Senior Member
    Go outside and monitor your pups behavior, be very close by and when she tries to dig just put your foot down on that spot she's digging.

I didn't want Summer digging holes while we were at the dog park, however someone let's their canine dig deep holes and doesn't even correct it even after management places new grass over the holes. Guess seeing a dog hole made her want to dig so I corrected it by putting my foot down on the spot to claim it as mine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast