Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mentally delayed/challenged dog?

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Mentally delayed/challenged dog?

Advertisements
    Has anyone had/dealt with one and know the signs?

At the shelter I worked at, I had a deaf bulldog, and we did a lot of work to train him but he was very smart, just deaf. I am dog sitting a dog that I know pretty well now, I'm beginning to think he actually has mental disabilities. I know lots of people joke that their dog is dumb or special but I'm wondering if anyone actually has experience with the mentally disabled dogs.
  2. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    My shihpoo is definitely a bit OFF. Has major issues jumping up on my bed or couch. He "tries" to jump anywhere from 3 to 8 times before he finally makes it. When he's running and jumps where he's not "thinking" too hard about it, he makes it first try. Then in the last year or so he started having seizures. he doesn't have them too often, but they can last quite a while. At least for me they do. At this point we haven't had to do anything special for him, other than making sure he's safe during a seizure. We just kind of roll with the punches with him and say, well that's just Buddy.
  3. verabot89
    verabot89
    I didn't really know that dogs *could* be mentally disabled. Anymore than the usual "special" or "dumb". Can they?
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch. View Post
    I didn't really know that dogs *could* be mentally disabled. Anymore than the usual "special" or "dumb". Can they?
    No clue honestly. But we know Buddy is very SPECIAL! LOL.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    My shihpoo is definitely a bit OFF. Has major issues jumping up on my bed or couch. He "tries" to jump anywhere from 3 to 8 times before he finally makes it. When he's running and jumps where he's not "thinking" too hard about it, he makes it first try. Then in the last year or so he started having seizures. he doesn't have them too often, but they can last quite a while. At least for me they do. At this point we haven't had to do anything special for him, other than making sure he's safe during a seizure. We just kind of roll with the punches with him and say, well that's just Buddy.
    for the seizures. I just had a friend go through a bunch of seizures with her pup and it was heartbreaking at times. Sounds like with the jumping, maybe his depth perception is off?

The dog I'm sitting for seems to have communication issues, he doesn't respond to commands, his name, "calm assertive energy" or even "I'm super frustrated and mad" energy, pinning him down (calm, assertively), etc...which most the dogs I know respond to something. We thought he was deaf for a while, but he seems to definitely hear sometimes. I'm starting to feel really bad because the inability to communicate is frustrating for us and for him. I just wish I could somehow get through to him He has issues with my little dog as well. She is usually friendly and playful with dogs, but she doesn't like him, and when she gives him signs to back off, he is totally clueless.
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here

I mean, I don't know for sure, but it seems to make sense to me. With dogs, breeds, etc...you have sort of a standard of intelligence and behaviors and understanding. This dog (see my description above) seems to be lacking in those areas. To me, it makes sense that it would be possible, and of course even harder to detect because there's no expectation of speech from them.
  7. Senior Member
    We had a cat who at 6 weeks old was found in the middle of a road, she definitely was not mentally at her age. She spent her whole life acting like a kitten and couldn't do the normal things cats do for themselves. She also didn't look people in the eyes which kind of made me really know something was off, our other pets always look us in the eyes, she never made eye contact.
  8. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I mean, I don't know for sure, but it seems to make sense to me. With dogs, breeds, etc...you have sort of a standard of intelligence and behaviors and understanding. This dog (see my description above) seems to be lacking in those areas. To me, it makes sense that it would be possible, and of course even harder to detect because there's no expectation of speech from them.
    I really don't know! I guess I never thought about it. Maybe a vet might have more answers!
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

9. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Candice. View Post
    We had a cat who at 6 weeks old was found in the middle of a road, she definitely was not mentally at her age. She spent her whole life acting like a kitten and couldn't do the normal things cats do for themselves. She also didn't look people in the eyes which kind of made me really know something was off, our other pets always look us in the eyes, she never made eye contact.
    You know what, that's so weird because this guy doesn't make eye contact either! He hates to do it and won't unless you hold his head, and still he tries to look to the side.

I really don't know! I guess I never thought about it. Maybe a vet might have more answers!
    I am super curious, maybe I'll pay to take my friends dog to the vet They're not very...interested in their animals behavior I guess is how I would phrase it.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Never thought about an animal being mentally challenged either . But I guess it makes sense if they have suffered any sort of brain trauma perhaps!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast