Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever seen one of those cow abuse videos?

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

Ever seen one of those cow abuse videos?

Advertisements
    You know, the kind there the farmer is hitting the cow and yelling, rolling them around by machines or dragging them across the floor?

Well, this blog post ( Sometimes we are mean to our cows. | The Adventures of Dairy Carrie... I think I Need a Drink! ) is a super great, well written piece about some of the practices you may see on a farm and why many of them are exaggerated/not accurately portrayed by PETA, Mercy for Animals, HSUS etc...

Just wanted to pass along some good info!
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

My dad used to abuse the shit out of cows.

He burned every steak he cooked and called it well done.
  3. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I'm really glad I read that. It makes a lot more sense. Some of those videos I can't help but think are pretty legit and tragic, but hopefully the minority, and I get the whole "down cow" thing now.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    I'm really glad I read that. It makes a lot more sense. Some of those videos I can't help but think are pretty legit and tragic, but hopefully the minority, and I get the whole "down cow" thing now.

Two MAJOR reasons they go down is damage to their nerves during labor making it, literally, impossible to stand, and then they get eclampsia so they go down. Those are the big 2, although there are a ton of others. Down cows are a pain to deal with, for the cow, for the farmer, for the vet- it just sucks.

Plus a down cow cannot be killed for meat, so these poor farmers who already barely make ends meat take a loss when a cow goes down and cant get back up. So getting them up ASAP is imperative.
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

Two MAJOR reasons they go down is damage to their nerves during labor making it, literally, impossible to stand, and then they get eclampsia so they go down. Those are the big 2, although there are a ton of others. Down cows are a pain to deal with, for the cow, for the farmer, for the vet- it just sucks.

Plus a down cow cannot be killed for meat, so these poor farmers who already barely make ends meat take a loss when a cow goes down and cant get back up. So getting them up ASAP is imperative.
    Just curious, why can't they use them for meat?
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Just curious, why can't they use them for meat?
    Um, well first of all its illegal. But why is it illegal? A couple different reasons. 1) there are some serious diseases (like bovine spongiform encephalopathy aka mad cow, for example) that cause neurologic signs, like being down, that the government is trying to prevent the population from contracting. Thats pretty legit. 2) Animal rights groups like PETA and HSUS lobbied for it to be illegal since its 'mean' to hurt a cow thats already hurt. So if a cow broke its leg and will never get back up (unlike dogs and cats, cows dont do 3 legs), the farmer cant make it meat, the farmer just takes a loss. This is shitty to me.

There are a lot of problems with our legal system and medicine- human and animal. Basically they make a lot of laws but dont really often understand the science behind it, and are 'persuaded' (or bribed, whatever) to vote one way or another. Its a thorn in the veterinary side.
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Um, well first of all its illegal. But why is it illegal? A couple different reasons. 1) there are some serious diseases (like bovine spongiform encephalopathy aka mad cow, for example) that cause neurologic signs, like being down, that the government is trying to prevent the population from contracting. Thats pretty legit. 2) Animal rights groups like PETA and HSUS lobbied for it to be illegal since its 'mean' to hurt a cow thats already hurt. So if a cow broke its leg and will never get back up (unlike dogs and cats, cows dont do 3 legs), the farmer cant make it meat, the farmer just takes a loss. This is shitty to me.

There are a lot of problems with our legal system and medicine- human and animal. Basically they make a lot of laws but dont really often understand the science behind it, and are 'persuaded' (or bribed, whatever) to vote one way or another. Its a thorn in the veterinary side.
    That seems like such a waste. Just because the cow is injured you can't harvest the meat?

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    That seems like such a waste. Just because the cow is injured you can't harvest the meat?
    In part we would need to trust the farmer as to why it was down and we know there are enough unethical farmer/ranchers out there.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    In part we would need to trust the farmer as to why it was down and we know there are enough unethical farmer/ranchers out there.

All meat is checked by a veterinarian before it is slaughtered, however, that is at slaughter facilities...away from the farm. To slaughter on site would require a vet to come down to the farm to check the cow to determine if the cause of being down was something 'fixable' and ok for slaughter or something worse, and the vet call and testing for all that would cost more than the cow. Farmers are pragmatic about cost/benefit.

However, they do sometimes go down at slaughter facilities. In that case I wish they were able to be slaughtered once checked by the vet.
  10. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Ah, yes. I didn't even think about that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast