Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Ever seen one of those cow abuse videos?

  1. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,852
    #1

    Ever seen one of those cow abuse videos?

    Advertisements
    You know, the kind there the farmer is hitting the cow and yelling, rolling them around by machines or dragging them across the floor?

    Well, this blog post ( Sometimes we are mean to our cows. | The Adventures of Dairy Carrie... I think I Need a Drink! ) is a super great, well written piece about some of the practices you may see on a farm and why many of them are exaggerated/not accurately portrayed by PETA, Mercy for Animals, HSUS etc...

    Just wanted to pass along some good info!
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    BraveLilToaster's Avatar
    BraveLilToaster is offline
    aka Milfon2Wheelz
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kings Bay Ga
    Posts
    10,109


    #2
    My dad used to abuse the shit out of cows.


    He burned every steak he cooked and called it well done.
  3. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #3
    I'm really glad I read that. It makes a lot more sense. Some of those videos I can't help but think are pretty legit and tragic, but hopefully the minority, and I get the whole "down cow" thing now.
  4. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,852
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    I'm really glad I read that. It makes a lot more sense. Some of those videos I can't help but think are pretty legit and tragic, but hopefully the minority, and I get the whole "down cow" thing now.


    Two MAJOR reasons they go down is damage to their nerves during labor making it, literally, impossible to stand, and then they get eclampsia so they go down. Those are the big 2, although there are a ton of others. Down cows are a pain to deal with, for the cow, for the farmer, for the vet- it just sucks.

    Plus a down cow cannot be killed for meat, so these poor farmers who already barely make ends meat take a loss when a cow goes down and cant get back up. So getting them up ASAP is imperative.
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    BraveLilToaster's Avatar
    BraveLilToaster is offline
    aka Milfon2Wheelz
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kings Bay Ga
    Posts
    10,109


    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post


    Two MAJOR reasons they go down is damage to their nerves during labor making it, literally, impossible to stand, and then they get eclampsia so they go down. Those are the big 2, although there are a ton of others. Down cows are a pain to deal with, for the cow, for the farmer, for the vet- it just sucks.

    Plus a down cow cannot be killed for meat, so these poor farmers who already barely make ends meat take a loss when a cow goes down and cant get back up. So getting them up ASAP is imperative.
    Just curious, why can't they use them for meat?
  6. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,852
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Just curious, why can't they use them for meat?
    Um, well first of all its illegal. But why is it illegal? A couple different reasons. 1) there are some serious diseases (like bovine spongiform encephalopathy aka mad cow, for example) that cause neurologic signs, like being down, that the government is trying to prevent the population from contracting. Thats pretty legit. 2) Animal rights groups like PETA and HSUS lobbied for it to be illegal since its 'mean' to hurt a cow thats already hurt. So if a cow broke its leg and will never get back up (unlike dogs and cats, cows dont do 3 legs), the farmer cant make it meat, the farmer just takes a loss. This is shitty to me.

    There are a lot of problems with our legal system and medicine- human and animal. Basically they make a lot of laws but dont really often understand the science behind it, and are 'persuaded' (or bribed, whatever) to vote one way or another. Its a thorn in the veterinary side.
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Um, well first of all its illegal. But why is it illegal? A couple different reasons. 1) there are some serious diseases (like bovine spongiform encephalopathy aka mad cow, for example) that cause neurologic signs, like being down, that the government is trying to prevent the population from contracting. Thats pretty legit. 2) Animal rights groups like PETA and HSUS lobbied for it to be illegal since its 'mean' to hurt a cow thats already hurt. So if a cow broke its leg and will never get back up (unlike dogs and cats, cows dont do 3 legs), the farmer cant make it meat, the farmer just takes a loss. This is shitty to me.

    There are a lot of problems with our legal system and medicine- human and animal. Basically they make a lot of laws but dont really often understand the science behind it, and are 'persuaded' (or bribed, whatever) to vote one way or another. Its a thorn in the veterinary side.
    That seems like such a waste. Just because the cow is injured you can't harvest the meat?

  8. Senior Member
    Guynavywife's Avatar
    Guynavywife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    19,321
    Blog Entries
    2
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    That seems like such a waste. Just because the cow is injured you can't harvest the meat?
    In part we would need to trust the farmer as to why it was down and we know there are enough unethical farmer/ranchers out there.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. In vino veritas
    Dr.VinoVet's Avatar
    Dr.VinoVet is offline
    In vino veritas
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    14,852
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    In part we would need to trust the farmer as to why it was down and we know there are enough unethical farmer/ranchers out there.


    All meat is checked by a veterinarian before it is slaughtered, however, that is at slaughter facilities...away from the farm. To slaughter on site would require a vet to come down to the farm to check the cow to determine if the cause of being down was something 'fixable' and ok for slaughter or something worse, and the vet call and testing for all that would cost more than the cow. Farmers are pragmatic about cost/benefit.

    However, they do sometimes go down at slaughter facilities. In that case I wish they were able to be slaughtered once checked by the vet.
  10. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    the_lepus's Avatar
    the_lepus is offline
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    9,707
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    In part we would need to trust the farmer as to why it was down and we know there are enough unethical farmer/ranchers out there.
    Ah, yes. I didn't even think about that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •