Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take him to the Vet?

1. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels

Take him to the Vet?

Advertisements
    My Razor pup was limping this morning. When he would stand, he lifted his right front paw. I'm worried he may have injured it being a dork yesterday. (Back story, he was outside to go potty, it's extremely cold where I live, so he perched himself on top of his house and whined in the window to be let in. I let him in, but I'm worried in hoping down he injured himself)

He doesn't limp or favor that paw when running through. I let him outside this morning and he took off like normal after a squirrel. He's down and resting now. I'm trying to keep him happy but off of the paw.

Do I need to take him into the vet? Or wait 24 hours?

I'm a little jaded because I grew up on the farm and if the dog limped, it likely did something it wasn't supposed to and was fine a day-week later. And...when this same type of thing happened with my cat (limping, favoring) I took her into the vet...and she walked like normal! FAKER. Then she gets back home and limps. She's fine though.

...so..TLDR: Dog limping, when to take him in?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    *I* would wait it out
  3. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I would probably wait a day or so.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Almost same thing happened to Kilo last week. He was running laps around the couch and slipped He was screaming for a few seconds after it happened and was limping/favoring and then stopped. The next day he was fine until that night, where the limping started again. We took him to the vet since it hadn't gone away (THAT ASSHOLE DID THE SAME THING AND DIDN'T LIMP THERE!) but the vet noticed he was standing on his toes a little more than normal. Got some anti-inflammatory pills for him and we haven't seen any limping since.
  5. Senior Member
    Switch the word "child" in for "pup" and ask the question. If your child was limping would you take him to the doctor?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
    Switch the word "child" in for "pup" and ask the question. If your child was limping would you take him to the doctor?
    - that would depend on the severity of the limp/my evaluation of the injury - just as with a dog -- which in this situation the OP's description falls into the "wait and see" category for me. Then again, I am not one to run to the doctor for every little thing - for human family members or furry ones.
    Last edited by Ol' Grey Mare; 12-09-2013 at 04:46 PM.
  7. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I would wait. I could give you my reasons why, but I'm not a vet. If he is running fine, maybe he just strained a muscle? Did you check the paw to make sure he doesn't have a splinter? Maybe Vino will
    chime in later

Children can tell you what's wrong, soooooo it would depend on what the child said about it. I would not take a child in for a splinter or pulled muscle.
  8. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Depended on how bad he was limping, what the child told me, etc. As much as Razor is my fur-baby, he's not a kid.

When I was limping for over a week I didn't go in.

Thanks all for your advice. And yes .pistachio. (Love the new name) I checked his paws because the dork likes to run through the grove sometimes and comes back with burrs all over
  9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    Almost same thing happened to Kilo last week. He was running laps around the couch and slipped He was screaming for a few seconds after it happened and was limping/favoring and then stopped. The next day he was fine until that night, where the limping started again. We took him to the vet since it hadn't gone away (THAT ASSHOLE DID THE SAME THING AND DIDN'T LIMP THERE!) but the vet noticed he was standing on his toes a little more than normal. Got some anti-inflammatory pills for him and we haven't seen any limping since.
    They know they don't get sympathy from the vet...just a cold thermometer up the wazoo!
  10. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    I would and have waited it out. Sometimes my pups get those tiny little stickers (thorns?) in between their pads and it makes them limp. Hope he's ok!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast