Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruining of Breeds in 100 Years

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

The Ruining of Breeds in 100 Years

Advertisements
    100 Years of Breed “Improvement” | Science of Dogs

Really cool article. And this is just a snapshot of some of the changes we have seen (ok obvi not me, but vets who have been in practice 50 years). There are so many other ruined breeds. There are some breeds that veterinarians just groan/laugh-to-keep-from-crying when we see them on our appointment schedule. And this is just physical, some of the problems that have changed internally, dear god.
  2. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

This makes me so sad! Do you know anything about Doberman changes? DH and I would like to get one at some point.
  3. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Oh that makes me really sad

It's not fair what people have done to puppies. They deserve to be really healthy and happy and live long lives.

I can never buy from a breeder again, the more I get to know about it. I love Elliot and the woman who bred him loves her dogs and treats them right, but it's just not fair to the animals.

Banned
    This is really interesting, I had no idea dogs had changed so much and not for the better.

What breeds do vets laugh about?
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by .pistachio. View Post
    This makes me so sad! Do you know anything about Doberman changes? DH and I would like to get one at some point.
    That is one of the (many) breeds that I groan at TBH. I have seen pictures and they have gotten taller, but thinner with deeper chests and wider hips.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    This is really interesting, I had no idea dogs had changed so much and not for the better.

What breeds do vets laugh about?
    Bulldogs as #1, GSD, dobbies and great danes, chihuahuas, shih tzus, boxers.

And then there are just speacialty specific things, like doxies and their backs. All the giant breeds and their hips. Cavaliers and their hearts.
  7. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    That is one of the (many) breeds that I groan at TBH. I have seen pictures and they have gotten taller, but thinner with deeper chests and wider hips.
    Are there any really good breeds you could recommend?
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm against pure breeding generally.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Bulldogs as #1, GSD, dobbies and great danes, chihuahuas, shih tzus, boxers.

And then there are just speacialty specific things, like doxies and their backs. All the giant breeds and their hips. Cavaliers and their hearts.
    I never knew German shepards had such problems. I know they use them as guide dogs and police dogs, never thought they had serious complications from breeding.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by .pistachio. View Post
    Are there any really good breeds you could recommend?
    Mutt's.

Honestly, breeding creates so many problems. Some are life threatening (like dobbies get severe heart disease where average age of onset is 6 years old) while others are a moderate annoyance for the entire life of the dog (little fluffy white dogs and allergies). Name a breed and I can tell you all the hereditary problems with it. And while mutts can absolutely get problems (and do! Everything dies eventually!), the non-life threatening problems that pure breeds get dont seem to occur/occur at much lower rates or severity levels than in bred dogs. But seriously, if you are thinking about a breed and are curious, PM me.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast