Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Stray Cat Terrorizing A Neighborhood

  1. Senior Member
    adnama10's Avatar
    adnama10 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Im in Texas, He's in Korea
    Posts
    283
    #1

    Mad Stray Cat Terrorizing A Neighborhood

    Advertisements
    Ladies, I need your help!

    So my parents have been having A LOT of problems with a stray cat at their home. Not just them, so have their neighbors which happens to be my cousin. This cat doesn’t belong to anyone. No one in the neighborhood has cats except one of their neighbors who denies its theirs. We don’t want to call animal control because we know this cat will get euthanized. Here are the problems they have been having:

    1. Cat scratched their dogs eye. Vet checked him out and he’s fine. We think he scratched him when the dog was eating.
    2. Destroyed my moms garden
    3. My cousin is barely getting moved into the house next door, so her two dogs are outside in a gated area during the day while she moves furniture, cleans, etc. The cat eats the food she leaves out for them and already destroyed their beds.
    4. Scratched up some of the lawn furniture my mom has outside.
    5. The dogs are outside most of the day since it’s not really cold here in Texas during the day, plus mom is having work done inside the house so the dogs are also outside during the day
    6. This cat always hanging around causes the dogs to bark a lot. Their other neighbors are complaining about the barking now.

    As you can see this cat is raising hell. I’d really hate to call Animal Control. I don’t think any rescue/fosters would take him in him since he seems impossible to catch. What can we do?? This cat looks a bit beat up and skinny. I really love animals and I cant take this cat in because I have a dog of my own and my apartment only allows one pet. (and Im not much of a cat person either way).
  2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    HisJuliet's Avatar
    HisJuliet is offline
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Together Again!
    Posts
    9,081
    #2
    Do you know anyone who has live traps? You could set those to catch the cat then see if a rescue could take the cat.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ol' Grey Mare's Avatar
    Ol' Grey Mare is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    14,646
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by adnama10 View Post
    Ladies, I need your help!

    So my parents have been having A LOT of problems with a stray cat at their home. Not just them, so have their neighbors which happens to be my cousin. This cat doesn’t belong to anyone. No one in the neighborhood has cats except one of their neighbors who denies its theirs. We don’t want to call animal control because we know this cat will get euthanized. Here are the problems they have been having:

    1. Cat scratched their dogs eye. Vet checked him out and he’s fine. We think he scratched him when the dog was eating.
    2. Destroyed my moms garden
    3. My cousin is barely getting moved into the house next door, so her two dogs are outside in a gated area during the day while she moves furniture, cleans, etc. The cat eats the food she leaves out for them and already destroyed their beds.
    4. Scratched up some of the lawn furniture my mom has outside.
    5. The dogs are outside most of the day since it’s not really cold here in Texas during the day, plus mom is having work done inside the house so the dogs are also outside during the day
    6. This cat always hanging around causes the dogs to bark a lot. Their other neighbors are complaining about the barking now.

    As you can see this cat is raising hell. I’d really hate to call Animal Control. I don’t think any rescue/fosters would take him in him since he seems impossible to catch. What can we do?? This cat looks a bit beat up and skinny. I really love animals and I cant take this cat in because I have a dog of my own and my apartment only allows one pet. (and Im not much of a cat person either way).
    Unfortunately, the only "solution" is the steps you don't want to take - in that the cat needs to be reported, live-trapped and then from there put into the shelter system, etc. You may wan to enquire with the local shelter(s) if they have a barn cat or feral snip/relocate program. The barn cat programs take non housepet materiel cats (often from feral colonies), spay/neuter them and then they are "adopted" by people who want a barn cat -- cat gets shelter and a "home" and the owner gets rodent control. Yes, putting him into the shelter system *could* cause him to be put down - but being left as it is the cat stands to be injured/killed by accident, other animals or even shot/poisoned/killed in another manner by a neighbor who has enough.
  4. Senior Member
    adnama10's Avatar
    adnama10 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Im in Texas, He's in Korea
    Posts
    283
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Do you know anyone who has live traps? You could set those to catch the cat then see if a rescue could take the cat.
    I already called a few rescues and they're all full. :/ We recently had a few dog hoarding cases so they took in a lot of them (Im talking about like 200 dogs or so). My dad's friend has a live trap because he lives out on a ranch. He said we could borrow it but he didnt want the cat :/
  5. Senior Member
    *Palindrome*'s Avatar
    *Palindrome* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    VA to Japanland!
    Posts
    4,528
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Unfortunately, the only "solution" is the steps you don't want to take - in that the cat needs to be reported, live-trapped and then from there put into the shelter system, etc. You may wan to enquire with the local shelter(s) if they have a barn cat or feral snip/relocate program. The barn cat programs take non housepet materiel cats (often from feral colonies), spay/neuter them and then they are "adopted" by people who want a barn cat -- cat gets shelter and a "home" and the owner gets rodent control. Yes, putting him into the shelter system *could* cause him to be put down - but being left as it is the cat stands to be injured/killed by accident, other animals or even shot/poisoned/killed in another manner by a neighbor who has enough.

    Is there any farms in the area that you could ask if they'd want a barn cat??

  6. Senior Member
    adnama10's Avatar
    adnama10 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Im in Texas, He's in Korea
    Posts
    283
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by *Palindrome* View Post

    Is there any farms in the area that you could ask if they'd want a barn cat??
    Theres a lot of land/farms on the outskirts of town. We were thinking of dropping him off over there. I looked into it and cant find anything like a program for adopting barn cats.It seems cruel to just leave him out there.. but then it seems cruel to turn him over to animal services where he'll be locked up and then put to sleep 3 days later
  7. Senior Member
    TriggerHappy's Avatar
    TriggerHappy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,570
    #7
    Get a trap or call animal rescue.

    You say you don't want to call anime rescue which is why I suggest getting a trap.
    There are animal friendly traps, I know when back in my ol' house we had a gray squirrel come in/live in the house. It was pretty annoying..but we ended up trapping it inside a box that has a hatch and a string connected the hatch to the stick that's inside the box. Basicallly the creature bumps into the stick (obviously trying to get food) and the hatch door drops.

    Then relocate it wherever you please, I would also suggest finding an animal clinic who will house the cat until they find it a good home.
    Plus, may also ensure that it will get neuter/spayed and a rabies vaccine.
  8. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #8
    Are you 100% sure there are no non-kill shelters? Animal control is not the same thing as a rescue or shelter and in some cities they don't operate together much at all.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,893

    #9
    I would just call Animal Control
    ​​​

    “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

  10. Account Closed
    Lynn's Avatar
    Lynn is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    It could be worse.
    Posts
    29,398
    #10
    Ask the rescues about low cost neuter/spay programs that they deal with. They will most likely know of feral cat C/F/R programs in the vicinity.

    The cat needs to be trapped and fixed/vetted. If the animal can't be fixed and released in a better area or given a home, sadly there isn't much else you can do.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •