Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: She' being so bad lately

1. verabot89
    verabot89

She' being so bad lately

Advertisements
    I don't know what to do about Vera's behavior. I swear my mom has been slowly ruining her, but it's a constant battle because my mom and I have different beliefs about taking care of animals. In the past couple of months she has been chewing and destroying things, stealing food off the table, taking things out of garbage cans… She hasn't done this crap since she was a baby, and I don't know where it's coming from. My mom refuses to kennel her (though her kennel is out, and accessible to Vera) and I honestly feel like the lack of structured kennel time is making her bad. When we were living on our own, she was kenneled when I wasn't home and her bad behaviors were not existent. Now Vera thinks she can do whatever she wants, she does bad things right in front of us. Obviously we try to discipline but I don't know what to do! Every day it's something different. And she has a billion toys, I keep getting her more, and she gets more exercise than ever lately.

My mom gives her wet food in her bowl, and knows I don't like it (of course, now Vera won't eat just plain kibble), and she will like sneak it in when I'm not looking. We usually eat on the couch at the coffee table for dinner and will give Vera all kinds of food right from her hand on the couch. She gives into Vera's every whim- seriously. Vera barks and my mom takes her out, even if she was just out. Vera barks and my mom feeds her. Vera has my mom wrapped around her little paw! My mom acts like Vera NEEDS to go out two times in the middle of the night, but when we were living on our own, Vera went out right before bed, and then came in my room with me and lied there quietly till I decided to get up. There was 0 waking me up early for food, or to go outside. I don't give in to that crap. We had a routine, and I trained my dog to behave the way I wanted, and now I feel like mom has destroyed it. I just want to move the fuck out of here!!!

Anyways, how do I fix it?? She does all the bad things when I'm home. Do I really need to revert to leashing her while I'm home? How do I get my mom on board to stop rolling over for her?
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch. View Post
    I don't know what to do about Vera's behavior. I swear my mom has been slowly ruining her, but it's a constant battle because my mom and I have different beliefs about taking care of animals. In the past couple of months she has been chewing and destroying things, stealing food off the table, taking things out of garbage cans… She hasn't done this crap since she was a baby, and I don't know where it's coming from. My mom refuses to kennel her (though her kennel is out, and accessible to Vera) and I honestly feel like the lack of structured kennel time is making her bad. When we were living on our own, she was kenneled when I wasn't home and her bad behaviors were not existent. Now Vera thinks she can do whatever she wants, she does bad things right in front of us. Obviously we try to discipline but I don't know what to do! Every day it's something different. And she has a billion toys, I keep getting her more, and she gets more exercise than ever lately.

My mom gives her wet food in her bowl, and knows I don't like it (of course, now Vera won't eat just plain kibble), and she will like sneak it in when I'm not looking. We usually eat on the couch at the coffee table for dinner and will give Vera all kinds of food right from her hand on the couch. She gives into Vera's every whim- seriously. Vera barks and my mom takes her out, even if she was just out. Vera barks and my mom feeds her. Vera has my mom wrapped around her little paw! My mom acts like Vera NEEDS to go out two times in the middle of the night, but when we were living on our own, Vera went out right before bed, and then came in my room with me and lied there quietly till I decided to get up. There was 0 waking me up early for food, or to go outside. I don't give in to that crap. We had a routine, and I trained my dog to behave the way I wanted, and now I feel like mom has destroyed it. I just want to move the fuck out of here!!!

Anyways, how do I fix it?? She does all the bad things when I'm home. Do I really need to revert to leashing her while I'm home? How do I get my mom on board to stop rolling over for her?
    I'd say you have a very good idea of where this is all coming from - you have said it yourself, your mother is interfering. It sounds like you have voiced concerns as issues came up and they have fallen on deaf ears. Unfortunately, until/unless you are able to put your foot down and INSIST that things be done your way or your mother has NOTHING to do with Vera, it is going to continue - and that is much easier said than done, I know. Think of it like Vera is your child and the two of you were living with your mother - would you allow your mother to change your parenting in the interest of keeping the peace or would you insist that your parenting choices be respected? Ultimately, if you have to rely on your mother for care of Vera while you are out, this is going to stay a sticky situation. How long are you out at a stretch? Can you put the kennel in your room and leave Vera in there when you are out and INFORM your mother that she is to stay there?