Thread: Hunting Season.

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Hunting Season.

Advertisements
    Oh man, it makes me so nervous now.

I love venison. I love that my husband and boys go. It's awesome. What I don't love is the asshole that drives down from Kansas City to hunt on his aunt's property across the street from us. Two years ago my kids let my 3 dogs out on the last day of rifle season. It was about 1pm or so. Not even close to when the deer are moving. Only 2 came back. My beloved Rags who was only 7 months old was shot straight through the heart.

Last year around the same time we heard a gun shot. My husband saw the man walking back to his car and ask him if he got a deer. Nope, said he was shooting at squirrels. WTF? I asked my husband if he asked him about shooting our dog. He didn't. I sure as hell would have!

My Great Pyrs have been barking like crazy all morning, the sun is finally coming up, and yep. There's his truck. No way in hell I'm letting my dogs out until he leaves. Fucker.
  2. Senior Member
    Ugh I am so sorry!

I HATE irresponsible hunters. DH was out in the field the other week when his team got shot at. They tracked the guy down...it was some asshole out hunting on post. The guy didn't bother to go check out an area of land like he was supposed to...he just randomly drove out and started hunting and he didn't apologize either.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    During hunting season we always just made sure our animals didn't leave our property/enter the uncleared portions of it.
  4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    During hunting season we always just made sure our animals didn't leave our property/enter the uncleared portions of it.

I wish that were an option. We have the pastures fenced but our two indoor dogs can get in and out under the gates. I totally wish we could afford to fence our entire property to ensure they would stay in. And it kind of sucks because All the dogs around here consider that land part of their property too. I hope he doesn't shoot someone else's dog too.
  5. Senior Member
    I understand how you feel. Back home I loved letting my dogs experience nature while I walked them. We have hunters there too, however they have at least 1 guy outside of the hunting grounds wearing a neon orange reflector jacket. Do they do the same in your area?

If they don't I would hope there is a possible way to enforce a safety procedure when it comes to hunting.

And yeah, squirrels, foxes, and cats. Cats aren't safe either. There's this guy who uploaded a video of him shooting a black cat while hunting. Said it was fair game because it didn't have a collar :/
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    I wish that were an option. We have the pastures fenced but our two indoor dogs can get in and out under the gates. I totally wish we could afford to fence our entire property to ensure they would stay in. And it kind of sucks because All the dogs around here consider that land part of their property too. I hope he doesn't shoot someone else's dog too.
    Can you put orange vests on them?
  7. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Honestly, I don't think it would matter to this d-bag. I guarantee he knew my dog was a family pet. She was running with my white shih-poo and my boxer. She was a Brussels Griffon and adorable. The fact that he took the time to shoot her through the heart just proves that he is an ASS.
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Fabulous idea!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Unfortunately, anyone who is going to shoot a dog during deer season is not shooting the dog because he/she thinks it's a deer - they are meaning to shoot the dog, so an orange vest is unlikely to deter them. That is why containment is the only safe option.
  10. Senior Member
    Sounds like he's just shooting for game then, I'm sorry for what happened to your dog 2 years ago :\ it will definitely be best to keep them inside somewhere until he leaves.
    Because even if you place reflector collars or vest on them he could turn it around and say he was protecting himself or some other bologna to make it seem he didn't shoot your dog(s) on purpose.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast