Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sort of stray cat?

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Sort of stray cat?

Advertisements
    So there's a cat that DH & I have seen a couple times around outside. It SUPER friendly, round and healthy looking, with no sign of fleas or anything...but it doesn't have a collar. We're not sure if we should call animal control or what? DH tried to give it some food and it didn't want any so clearly someone takes care of it. I know some people let their cat out during the day but we worry it will get hit by a car in the parking lot or something...
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Many cats are indoor/outdoor and many dont tolerate collars. If the cat looks healthy, TBH, I wouldnt do anything. Now if the cat looked unkempt or had obvious signs of fleas/lice/tick/fungal infestations, then I would call, and having cats outdoors with no collar is irresponsible, but I still wouldnt call. The owners may never find it, and it may end up euthanzied.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I wouldn't call. Obviously an outside cat.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Sounds like an indoor/outdoor pet cat with an owner -- what you do is really up to you. *I* wouldn't call, but if you feel that strongly about it You need to consider the risks inherent in getting the cat put into the shelter system....which can leave them just as at risk, or more depending on the system, of death (euth). Have you inquired as to the leash laws in your area and whether or not htey apply to cats or not (most do, but few are enforced)?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I can't tell you how many collars our outdoor kitties have gone through - they have removing them down to a science.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I guess I just feel like this isn't a safe neighborhood for a loose cat. I live right next to a highway, there's extremely heavy traffic a lot of the day, and there are tons of dogs that run around loose because no one obeys the leash laws of the apartment company or the city.... My dad has indoor/outdoor cats but he lives 3 miles from the nearest neighbor so I feel like that's less dangerous, kwim? ETA: Meaning, I don't think all outdoor cats are bad.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I guess I just feel like this isn't a safe neighborhood for a loose cat. I live right next to a highway, there's extremely heavy traffic a lot of the day, and there are tons of dogs that run around loose because no one obeys the leash laws of the apartment company or the city.... My dad has indoor/outdoor cats but he lives 3 miles from the nearest neighbor so I feel like that's less dangerous, kwim? ETA: Meaning, I don't think all outdoor cats are bad.
    Okay, but you asked and were answered. As I said, if you feel so strongly about it then call...... Given what you now say about leash laws and the disregard/lack of enforcement, even if you do call what do you think is going to be done about it?
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    In your county are cats legally required to be indoor only? If not, you honestly dont have much to call on. It can be dangerous, and would I ever have an indoor/outdoor cat? Absolutely not, but legally they most likely are allowed to have an outdoor cat. A busy area can actually be way safer for cats in some ways- no coyotes. We see so many cat deaths in areas where people think its 'safe' to keep cats outdoors but they end up being run over since they arent used to cars or attacked/eaten by something wild.
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Okay, but you asked and were answered. As I said, if you feel so strongly about it then call...... Given what you now say about leash laws and the disregard/lack of enforcement, even if you do call what do you think is going to be done about it?
    I guess I was hoping the cat would be microchipped and the owners notified that it was found wandering and maybe they should keep a better eye on it. People who let their dogs run around don't do it all day, just when they're taking their dogs out to potty, so the owner is always nearby-ish.
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I agree with everyone else it's likely an outdoor indoor cat, and I'd not call if it looks healthy/well cared for. When I was a kid my parents always let the cats in and out of the house. They'd roam around during the day, and then we'd round them up at night if they weren't off exploring somewhere we couldn't find them(gave them two days to show up before we really started looking all over the place for them...) Shoot in the complex I live in right now there are a few in/outdoor cats. If the cat looked scared and looked like it needed help(like it was covered in fleas/loved like it it hadn't eaten in awhile.) Oh and when I lived with my parents we lived in Houston by a major city street, and there was a TON of traffic all day long by my house.. It's no less safe in the busy city than doing it in the country either honestly to me. I know just as many cats that have been killed by cars in the city. As cats that have been killed in the country by foxes, large birds, and other wild animals in the area. It's not safe either way IMHO, but people will keep on doing it. You'd be on the phone every day with animal control if you lived around here or where I used to live.

Also, the cat could very well of had a collar on at some point, but it could of gotten caught on something. Since a smart person would of put one of those quick release collars on their cat(Which that is how most cat collars are made anyways..). If it looks like it's happy/well cared for let it be.
    Signature removed due to size.