Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy ideas...

1. Regular Member

Puppy ideas...

Advertisements
    So I want a puppy. I grew up in the country and have always had a pet so, this is normal for me. The DH however, has never had any animal. He grew up in the city and is convinced that if we got a dog then it would jump in our bed just to "use the facilities". I have explained that having a dog would be good for me for when he is away. That way I won't be so lonely. So, where I'm going with this is... What would be a good dog to start out with. I want something that can go for a fast walk, jog, or bike ride with me when I want it to but not something that is too hyper. Also something that is good with kids because someday we are going to want a couple or so. Lastly, I really don't want something that sheds. Labs are out. Sorry. My parents have one and he is adorable but, there is black hair everywhere! Any ideas? I looked at mini golden doodles because they look like teddy bears but they are REALLY expensive. I like basenjis but I know they can be difficult and are typically a one person dog. Sooooo. I'm really not sure what else to get.
  2. New beginnings :)
    New beginnings :)
    Check out the AKC website! (American Kennel Club). They have a huge list of breeds with characteristics/traits as well. I've found in my experience that if a dog is going to keep up with jogging/biking etc, they usually have a higher energy level overall. If they are getting proper exercise though, they are much more manageable. I have a 2 year old Doberman Pinscher and she is outstanding to take for runs and walks, very athletic and energetic. She is also very smart, loyal, and a good cuddler Now that she is old enough to have matured a bit, she knows when to settle down and when it's appropriate to be high energy.
    Philippians 4:13
  3. Regular Member
    I will definitely check that out! Thanks! She sounds adorable! I can't wait to have a puppy of my own to cuddle with when my man isn't around!
  4. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Does it have to be a puppy or are you okay with an older dog? I would check out shelters and get a feel for a dog's personality then adopt the one you connect with. Or if you are looking for a specific breed, check rescues for that breed. That way the price won't be so steep!

Personally, I have a mini aussie and a great pyr mix. I had a lab/german shepherd mix but he needed to be an only child so my parents took him. All of my dogs are wonderful, but all of them shed. I just vacuum a lot.

5. Senior Member
    Maybe you guys could foster first to see how your DH really feels about having a dog. You usually get the first choice in adopting the dog you foster too if you want.
  6. Senior Member
    question.. is your husband actually into the idea of getting a dog?
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo!jingo View Post
    Does it have to be a puppy or are you okay with an older dog? I would check out shelters and get a feel for a dog's personality then adopt the one you connect with. Or if you are looking for a specific breed, check rescues for that breed. That way the price won't be so steep!

Personally, I have a mini aussie and a great pyr mix. I had a lab/german shepherd mix but he needed to be an only child so my parents took him. All of my dogs are wonderful, but all of them shed. I just vacuum a lot.
    I guess it doesn't have to be a puppy but I have found from past experiences that they are easier to house break if the older dog isn't already.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Well see, here's the thing about that. He is totally into the whole dog idea when we visit my parents (who have dogs) but, when we visit his parents he changes his mind. I think ultimately he just doesn't know what it's like to have a pet and just wants me to be happy. So maybe fostering would be a good idea so he gets to see what it's like.
  9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My concern as well. You can't bring an animal into a home if both parties are not completely into the idea. That will most likely lead to one person doing the majority of the work & the dog getting half the love it deserves.

I agree with the advice on seeing if you can foster first.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissBrenna View Post
    I guess it doesn't have to be a puppy but I have found from past experiences that they are easier to house break if the older dog isn't already.
    I've found the opposite to be true. I adopted my Westie/poodle mix from a shelter when he was 9 months old, and he came potty trained already. Kinda awesome. Also, he doesn't shed, and he's the best little dog ever! He travels really well, is capable of going on hikes/walks/slow jogs, but is also content just to sit in bed and have a lazy day.

I HIGHLY recommend adopting. There are plenty of poodle mixes out there for adoption (and thus low shedding) that won't require you to go through a breeder. The are pre-screened for temperament. You could even foster if you aren't sure or aren't sure your DH is on board totally.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast