Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What food?

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

What food?

Advertisements
    I want to get our kittens on the right food, without killing our bank account (our pup is on Blue Buffalo because she has a gluten allergy).

Any suggestions on what's the best for them?

2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    You will get tons of answers but I will give you the one that our veterinary board certified nutritionist tells us: Barring medical reasons (allergies, stone development etc...), any of the major brands have been tested multi-generationally over numerous breeds. They all end in the statistically same life expectancy, disease rates, diseases (meaning type) and behavior. Kinds of food to avoid: brands by stores (no walmart brand, no grocery store brands), and personally I avoid anything with the name 'organic' and 'all-natural' since you are paying a premium price on something that has no legal weight, meaning it probably isnt true.
  3. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I fed my kitties Purina One. Good on the wallet and I still felt like I was feeding them a decent food.

4. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    You will get tons of answers but I will give you the one that our veterinary board certified nutritionist tells us: Barring medical reasons (allergies, stone development etc...), any of the major brands have been tested multi-generationally over numerous breeds. They all end in the statistically same life expectancy, disease rates, diseases (meaning type) and behavior. Kinds of food to avoid: brands by stores (no walmart brand, no grocery store brands), and personally I avoid anything with the name 'organic' and 'all-natural' since you are paying a premium price on something that has no legal weight, meaning it probably isnt true.
    Quote Originally Posted by megan_laine View Post
    I fed my kitties Purina One. Good on the wallet and I still felt like I was feeding them a decent food.
    Awesome! Thanks, guys!

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We've got Baby Kitty on Purina Pro Plan kitten food. He likes it, not too expensive, and the best part is we no longer have kitten farts that could kill a small country
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I completely agree with this.

I will add, try to feed a mixture of canned/wet and dry. And I recommend a water fountain for them. Most cats, in my experience, love fresher water than a stagnant bowl can give them.

I know you didn't ask and I'm not implying you don't provide water for them. Keeping kittens hydrated is just a personal mission of mine. That's why I advocate canned/wet food in their diet.
  7. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I completely agree with this.

I will add, try to feed a mixture of canned/wet and dry. And I recommend a water fountain for them. Most cats, in my experience, love fresher water than a stagnant bowl can give them.

I know you didn't ask and I'm not implying you don't provide water for them. Keeping kittens hydrated is just a personal mission of mine. That's why I advocate canned/wet food in their diet.
    I change their water about 3 times a day because they get litter in it. And no worries! They've been on wet food since we got them (with dry food out all the time) because I read it helps keep them from UTI's and kidney problems. But, then my brother said he never feeds his cats wet food and they are perfectly healthy so now DH doesn't want me to spend the extra cash on the wet food.

8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    I change their water about 3 times a day because they get litter in it. And no worries! They've been on wet food since we got them (with dry food out all the time) because I read it helps keep them from UTI's and kidney problems. But, then my brother said he never feeds his cats wet food and they are perfectly healthy so now DH doesn't want me to spend the extra cash on the wet food.
    I have heard (maybe Vino can back this up or not) that cats like their food, water, and litterbox all in different locations because they have instincts that make them feel like they might be contaminating each one if they're near each other. DH & I have all 3 separate and I do think the cats drink more since we moved their water dishes. As for wet food, we give it to them at breakfast and then they eat dry the rest of the day. Maybe try something like that? We use 1/2 can each morning (the bigger cans, not the tiny ones)
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I have heard (maybe Vino can back this up or not) that cats like their food, water, and litterbox all in different locations because they have instincts that make them feel like they might be contaminating each one if they're near each other. DH & I have all 3 separate and I do think the cats drink more since we moved their water dishes. As for wet food, we give it to them at breakfast and then they eat dry the rest of the day. Maybe try something like that? We use 1/2 can each morning (the bigger cans, not the tiny ones)
    We are trying to create something else for them, but right now all their stuff has to be in our bathroom. Emma would be fine, but a toddler and a baby in the house means they will get into everything.

I do like what you guys do for breakfast though! Thanks for that idea.

10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    We are trying to create something else for them, but right now all their stuff has to be in our bathroom. Emma would be fine, but a toddler and a baby in the house means they will get into everything.

I do like what you guys do for breakfast though! Thanks for that idea.
    Make sure you do it when it's convenient for YOU because DH used to do it when he left at like 430 am while he was still in the Navy and now our cats start begging that early They're slowly learning we don't get up until 5:45 now but it's been a bit annoying
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast