Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: puppy toys!!

1. Banned
    Banned

puppy toys!!

Advertisements
    Okay, please give me some suggestions for puppy toys! We are picking up our little chocolate lab girl the day after Thanksgiving, and I want to be prepared. What are some good chew toys and play toys?
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

It's a lab. All you need is a ball.

Or 3000 balls.
  3. Senior Member
    I got my puppy a kong wubba and she loves it.

4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    It's a lab. All you need is a ball.

Or 3000 balls.
    I already have a Golden Retriever who is a complete ball hog (he would carry around 50 balls in his mouth at all times if he could) so she's going to have competition!!
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Puppy teething toys are always something that's needed. Labs are a very mouthy breed so make sure you have lots of balls and teething toys around to redirect if you catch her chewing on anything she's not supposed too.

6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    No nyla bones!!!! They crack teeth. Then you have to pay to remove the painful, broken teeth.

I really like kongs- fill 'em with peanut butter and freeze them. The peanut butter will then last longer.

I dont like feeding in food bowls- I like feeding with toys because then its mentally stimulating.
    Shop for Busy Buddy® Kibble Nibble
    Shop for Busy Buddy® Tug-A-Jug

Careful of toys with squeekers- some dogs love them and are great, but some dogs (LABS IM LOOKING AT YOU) like to eat the squeeker and then need a very expensive surgery to remove said squeeker.
  7. Senior Member
    We have a german shepherd and went overboard with toys.

We got him several kong tennis balls, several squeezer toys, a stuffed alligator as a sleeping buddy, a few rope toys, nylabone puppy starter kit, and several kongs.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    I already have a Golden Retriever who is a complete ball hog (he would carry around 50 balls in his mouth at all times if he could) so she's going to have competition!!
    hahaha oh dear. That is going to be quite the household. I like......puzzle toys. We have a kong and two other types for food and peanut butters. My dogs love bully sticks. My childhood dog liked booda bones, but my new dog didn't so I haven't gotten them since we got our second pup (he'd probably like anything). My MIL brings dentastix and they like those but they eat them super fast, it's more just a treat than a chewy. So yea. Of anything, for long lasting I'd go puzzle toy or bully.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    No nyla bones!!!! They crack teeth. Then you have to pay to remove the painful, broken teeth.

I really like kongs- fill 'em with peanut butter and freeze them. The peanut butter will then last longer.

I dont like feeding in food bowls- I like feeding with toys because then its mentally stimulating.
    Shop for Busy Buddy® Kibble Nibble
    Shop for Busy Buddy® Tug-A-Jug

Careful of toys with squeekers- some dogs love them and are great, but some dogs (LABS IM LOOKING AT YOU) like to eat the squeeker and then need a very expensive surgery to remove said squeeker.
    I never thought of feeder toys, although I saw something similar to what you posted the other day and thought about getting it. I never thought of feeding a whole meal in one though, just more fill it with treats. We would like to crate train her, and that would be something to keep her occupied in there. I think I will pick one up.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    I never thought of feeder toys, although I saw something similar to what you posted the other day and thought about getting it. I never thought of feeding a whole meal in one though, just more fill it with treats. We would like to crate train her, and that would be something to keep her occupied in there. I think I will pick one up.
    It keeps them mentally stimulated which is good in breeds that can get bored easily and destroy things. *coughlabscough* Plus I honestly hate treats. They are nothing but sugars and labs are a breed prone to being fat fat fat fat fat. >50% of pet dogs and cats in america are currently obese (I think its around 56%). Not just fat, but obese. And treats contribute. If you do treats, keep it to a minimum or use pieces of their actual food as treats. Low fat cottage cheese and carrots also make great treats.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast