Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Worms, but not....

1. Senior Member

Worms, but not....

Advertisements
    My puppy is confusing me.

It looks like he has worms in his poop (like grains of rice - which is what tapeworm looks like in their poop).
    I took a sample to the vet and they did a parasite screening which was negative. His coat is nice and shiny. He's not losing weight. He is high energy like usual. He is a little on the skinny side, but that's because of his age, he hasn't filled out.

He is on Trifexis, which of course treats just about everything except tapeworm... So I'm hesitant to give him an OTC dewormer, because I don't want to overdose him on something.

Any suggestions?

2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Most of OTC dewormers don't treat tapes. I wouldn't give him any dewormer without the recommendation from your vet because you can go overkill on dewormers and harm the pup.

3. Senior Member
    Fecals don't usually pick up tape worms because they are more dense and tend to sink to the bottom of the solution when they're looking for parasites. Your vet should have given you something for the worms if you said you saw them.
  4. Senior Member
    Take a stool sample to the vet for re-examination.
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Did you take any with the tape segments in to the vet? Did you tell them what you are seeing? OTC dewormers work about as much as water. The only kind that have enough active ingredient to actually kill anything are not OTC but are gotten at your veterinarians office. I would call your vet and say you are still seeing the tape segments and ask if they can give you a dewormer or if they will need another fecal sample.
  6. Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't see these replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Did you take any with the tape segments in to the vet? Did you tell them what you are seeing? OTC dewormers work about as much as water. The only kind that have enough active ingredient to actually kill anything are not OTC but are gotten at your veterinarians office. I would call your vet and say you are still seeing the tape segments and ask if they can give you a dewormer or if they will need another fecal sample.
    The sample did have segments, but it sat for about an hour before I was able to get it to the vet. I told them what I was seeing - they were actually the ones that said if it looked like rice, it might be tapeworms.
    I haven't seen any the past couple days, but if I see more, I'll take another sample to the vet and be a little more pushy.

Thanks.