Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible 2's in dogs

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Terrible 2's in dogs

Advertisements
    About how old are dogs when they enter the "terrible 2s"? I've been noticing some behavior changes in Teddy lately and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. He's not listening to commands as well as he used to and he's starting to growl at my other dog Jake if he comes near Teddy while he has a bone or toy. The growling thing has only started in the last couple days, but I really want to nip it in the bud before it develops any further.

Any tips or advice???

I Eelizah
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

One of my dogs never really hit a naughty phase, one was from 9 months until 15ish and was much much better at 19 months and one hit it from 7-10months.
  3. Senior Member

Dogs (big dogs at least - they mature at a different pace than little dogs) tend to hit a "fear stage" around 8 months when the world suddenly becomes scary, and they will revert to behavior you would expect from a younger puppy.
    And the their terrible twos seem to be bout 9-16 months.

4. Senior Member

Also, being food/toy aggressive is a behavior you want to stop immediately.

One way you can work on that is (when the dogs are separate from each other) teach them "drop it" and "leave it". You want them to willingly give up a toy or treat to you the first time you ask. When you are teaching this, don't just take their bone/toy, replace it with a small treat.

5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I've never heard of this I do recall being told, especially with my childhood dog because I was next lowest in the pack (mom, dad, brother, me, dog) so I was the one he'd try to overthrow, if you will, that dogs will periodically, throughout life, test the boundaries of their status in the pack. If he's not listening, I'd just reestablish the rules. I know I can get very lax with my dogs and the structure, because they're good dogs, I am used to them, etc...but it can be important to reinforce that there is a structure and rules to follow.
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I've always adopted older dogs, but I've noticed that my current pup (who's a year) has suddenly gotten afraid of random things, like the laminate floor in the kitchen. Suddenly he has forgotten how to walk on it and slips and slides so he's hard to get from the carpeted living room to the door to go outside.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Do you do any maintenance training?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Also, being food/toy aggressive is a behavior you want to stop immediately.

One way you can work on that is (when the dogs are separate from each other) teach them "drop it" and "leave it". You want them to willingly give up a toy or treat to you the first time you ask. When you are teaching this, don't just take their bone/toy, replace it with a small treat.
    Teddy has no problem with drop it or leave it. He doesn't show any signs of aggression towards me and never has. He will let me take his bone, sit there and stare at me for a while (even if I'm not paying attention) and then gingerly take it back when I offer it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Do you do any maintenance training?
    What do you mean? Like reinforcing the commands that he already knows?

I Eelizah
  9. verabot89
    verabot89
    For my dog it was between like 7 and 12 months
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

10. Senior Member
    is it just growling at dogs, or people as well? And is it just a low growl and the other dog lets him be, or are there fights or other nastiness? My male as a puppy would growl at me when he had a bone and I immediately made sure to take steps to prevent that. Not ok to do that to people. With other dogs, however, that is just the way communication works. My dogs have one rubber toy that they play with together and tug of war with eachother. But the nylabones are single toys and if one has it and the other approaches, the one with the bone will give a quick low growl and the other dog leaves them alone. To me, it's beautiful communication. It's never escalated beyond that. And it really isn't only for the "dominant" one to do to the submissive, my little female will let the male know when she doesn't want him to have the bone she has. And he leaves her alone when she does. It's the only way they can talk to each other, even though it sounds menacing to us it's just their language. I personally feel that dogs don't have to give up toys to other dogs as long as they are respectful to one another. My dogs don't even bare teeth, it literally is just a low growl, the other walks away and chewing resumes.

My dogs were rambunctious until maybe a year and a half old? I never noticed severe regression, just pretty consistent normal puppy/youth behavior of naughty habits paired with learning good things. How old is your dog?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast