Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15+ hour car ride with a dog?

1. Senior Member

15+ hour car ride with a dog?

Advertisements
    Any tips? We're going to be attempting this at the beginning of January to move Finn with us to Louisiana. He's only been in the car before for around 1.5 hours at a time, but he did fly from Hawaii to Florida and he was fine. I'm nervous he's gonna get sick in my car or something though.
  2. Live In Love
    Live In Love
    Lots and lots of breaks with some playtime and running to wear him out
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherBear View Post
    Lots and lots of breaks with some playtime and running to wear him out
    Lol he doesn't wear out ever. He'd play fetch all night if I let him hahaha
  4. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

I found that Elliot travelled a lot better when I was in the back seat with him. He would snuggle up and fall asleep on me. It was really nice quality time

5. verabot89
    verabot89
    Vera has only done 3-4 hour car rides.. but I found that putting her bed in the back seat made it easier. It took up more room so it was less likely that she would stand or fall in the space in front of the back seat. It also encouraged her to lie down and relax.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We drove from VA to CA with our dogs in the back seat of a Honda. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't terrible. Our youngest dog HATES the car, so we got her a thundershirt and that seemed to help. Just be prepared to stop a lot for potty breaks and make sure they get enough water. We did give them an herbal calming medicine and that seemed to help a bit.

Once we stopped for the night we would let them run around to burn off some of their energy. They were pretty hyper by the time we got to CA.

We used a car hammock like this too. It made the drive a lot easier on them. They didn't have to worry about falling on the floor if we hit the breaks. We had them in doggy seatbelts too.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've driven from VA to NY with my dogs (7-8ish hours) and they've done really well. Rumple has thrown up before when he eats right before he gets in the car so I try to feed them at least an hour to an hour and a half beforehand and then they might eat carrots or a few treats in the car but they don't eat again until we get where we're going. For Finn, you might be able to feed him his normal meal before then a "snack" while you're driving or when you stop. If he had a tendency to throw up, just make sure that you lay down towels or weewee pads before you go that way if he does throw up it's an easy clean-up (throw it in a plastic bag and tie it up or throw it away).

Scout used to get really anxious in the car so when we drove the longer distance I gave her calming tablets from PetSmart and she slept for the whole way. They had camomile, lavender and some other herbs.
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Our Australian Shepard did awesome on her first 10 hour drive. She didn't even go to the bathroom when we took her outside. How old is your dog? I bet he will be fine.

life's a party, rock your body
  9. Senior Member
    My friend and I just drove across country with her two dogs and my daughter. It actually worked out really well! We stopped regularly to let them walk around and drink/eat. We had their beds in the back. They laid in them. Neither of them got sick, so that was awesome.

La Quinta Inns are pet friendly and military friendly if you'll be looking for a hotel. They don't charge pet fees.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo!jingo View Post
    I found that Elliot travelled a lot better when I was in the back seat with him. He would snuggle up and fall asleep on me. It was really nice quality time
    I have to drive

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    Our Australian Shepard did awesome on her first 10 hour drive. She didn't even go to the bathroom when we took her outside. How old is your dog? I bet he will be fine.
    He'll be like 2.5 by that time. He's such a psycho though! The car *really* excites him so he's always pacing back and forth in the seat.

I think I'm gonna go pick up some of the calming tablets soon for a trial run. If I can get him to just sleep the whole time that would be amazing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast