Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're adopting

1. Moderator

We're adopting

Advertisements
    We're bringing this sweet lady home on Friday! Mature Loving Cat De-Clawed

I am so excited! She is super funny and full of personality, and they were starting to get discouraged because people mostly want kittens or outdoor/mouser cats. She is EXACTLY what we were hoping to find. The kids are going to lose their minds with happiness!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So happy for you and most especially for her!!!!! She is adorable!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    awww when I adopted my kitty I didn't want a kitten either I ended up getting him when he was about 3 years old. That was back in 2007 and he has been part of the family ever since!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    awe she's so cute!! congrats!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Just be aware that *some* de-clawed cats can have heightened reaction and go to other defense mechanisms (ie biting) faster than a clawed cat. It isn't always the case, but just something to watch for and help cat and kids mesh if it arises as an issue with this sweet girl. Our one declawed cat is VERY bitey and much quicker to go to biting/rabbit kicking than the other cats and just generally less tolerant, but he may have been that way even with his claws in tact so
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Just be aware that *some* de-clawed cats can have heightened reaction and go to other defense mechanisms (ie biting) faster than a clawed cat. It isn't always the case, but just something to watch for and help cat and kids mesh if it arises as an issue with this sweet girl. Our one declawed cat is VERY bitey and much quicker to go to biting/rabbit kicking than the other cats and just generally less tolerant, but he may have been that way even with his claws in tact so
    Thanks! I will definitely be watching her closely, especially with the kids, while we all get used to each other. This is good to know. I haven't had a cat since my ex-husband ditched my kittens because I loved them too much, so I'm actually feeling a little nervous, like a first date. I hope she'll love it here.
  7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I thought for a second her name was Hephzibah! Which is probably what I will now call my future cat....
  8. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    Thanks! I will definitely be watching her closely, especially with the kids, while we all get used to each other. This is good to know. I haven't had a cat since my ex-husband ditched my kittens because I loved them too much, so I'm actually feeling a little nervous, like a first date. I hope she'll love it here.
    She'll love you, don't worry! As for the whole biting thing, it's true with declawed cats because you've removed their go to defense mechanism, so they have to rely on their second more serious one. Just make sure she always has an escape route and it should be fine. My cats totally devilish so he play bites and rabbit kicks all the time. What you watch for is biting for real. I'm sure she'll be fine, your kids are energetic but kind. They seem like they can handle "gentle."

Have you read up on introducing a cat to a new place?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    ITA with escape routes, cat zones, etc. I am a huge fan of Jackson Galaxy (My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet) and his "Catification" approach to creating a cat friendly living space.......I have been trying to persuade DH into doing some catwalks, shelves, etc in our house for a while now - not *quite* as crazy as the house that was built for cats (there was a picture book of it a few years ago), but pretty darn close
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast