Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please! International Pet Traveling

1. Senior Member

Confused Help please! International Pet Traveling

Advertisements
    DH is guaranteed to go on the next rotation, and I really want to go home to visit. We are currently stationed in Germany. I know it is possible to travel with animals, I just have no idea how to go about it. I have a dog and a cat, and I will not kennel either of them for the amount of time I want to be in the states. Is there anyone who can give me any advice on this? Thank you so much!
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We had to fly our dog from Korea to the US ... DH talked to his command and got a list of things we needed to do. There was a form to fill out and we had to check in at customs at the airport. Also had to contact the airline and make sure that the flights weren't blacked out for transporting animals and we had to buy a dog carrier that met the specifications (size limits, had to be big enough for him to stand up/turn around, weight limits). We had to get him microchipped too. The fee for transporting them was 2x the extra baggage fee, we flew with Delta.

So I guess I would say contact the command and also the airline and they can probably get you a list of what needs to happen.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    DH is guaranteed to go on the next rotation, and I really want to go home to visit. We are currently stationed in Germany. I know it is possible to travel with animals, I just have no idea how to go about it. I have a dog and a cat, and I will not kennel either of them for the amount of time I want to be in the states. Is there anyone who can give me any advice on this? Thank you so much!
    Are you saying that when you come to the states that you will not have a place to house both you and your animals or are you just trying to figure out how to travel with them/
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. Senior Member
    Awesome! Thank you! A lot of the stuff will already be taken care of since we got them both here in Germany. It's just so frustrating that they make it so difficult to travel with them!
  5. Senior Member

Look up PCS Pets on Facebook

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Are you saying that when you come to the states that you will not have a place to house both you and your animals or are you just trying to figure out
    When I am in the states, I will have a place for the animals and myself. I was just saying that I wouldnt leave them here in Germany in a kennel when I go back to visit. I am trying to figure out what I need to do, both to the states and back to Germany, so they dont end up in quarantine.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Look up PCS Pets on Facebook
    Thank you!
  8. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    You may want to check into quarantine requirements before you take them to the US. You may have a hard time bringing them back without a lot of steps and $$. Good luck.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  9. Senior Member
    Does your post have a Vet? they should have the answers..

You should be able to find information about the requirements you'll need to fly to the US and to fly back with them...such as vaccinations, health certificates, microchips and pet passports.

Here's some info from our vet's page about airlines...

I recommend looking at the website of a few airlines and calling to confirm prices and guidelines...etc.

"When I was planning on going back to the states, I wasn't sure how much it would be to have my small dog in the cabin with me. I talked with a bunch of different airlines about it and here is what info i got. Out of what i have found, United was the cheapest, but if you pay alittle more you can fly out of Nuremburg with Lufthansa.
    Delta - Customer Service # 18002414141 $200 Each way ($400 Round Trip) for Small dog in Cabin
    United Airlines- United Airlines - Travel for animals Customer Service # 18008648381 $250 Round Trip for small dog in Cabin Hard Cage max 17.5 in. (length) x 12 in. (width) x 7.5 in. (height)Soft Cage 18 in. (length) x 11 in. (width) x 11 in. (height)They also offer Military Discounts!
    Lufthansa- Lufthansa United States of America - Baggage & other fees Customer Service # 18006453880$200 Round Trip for small dogs in CabinCage must be within 22x16x8
    American Airlines- Customer Service # 18004337300 Must fly through FRA->Dallas-> $175 Each Way for dog in CARGO, No flying accross the Ocean with animal in Cabin. Cargo cage must be hard sided. Lots of temerature regulations.Can not fly animals if forcasted temperatures are over (at any point of your trip) 85Degrees F (unless you have Vet Note).Can not fly animals if forcasted tempertaures are under (at any point of your trip) 45Degrees F(unless you have Vet Note).NO Flying at all if under 20Degrees F.
    Swiss Air- Animals on board Must be less then 8KG. Your pet must be kept in a clean, escape-proof, scratch-proof, soft-sided pack. (Length + width + height = max. 118 cm)
    My reccomendations would be to fly with united or lufthansa. They tend to be the cheapest. Make sure you have all your paperwork from the vet."
  10. Senior Member
    Since you have two pets, at least one of them is going to have to fly cargo. Since the pet goes under the seat, one person cannot have two in cabin pets. There are weather restrictions that apply when flying pets in cargo. Hopefully, you will not be flying when it is either very hot or very cold.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast