Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Looking for reasonable Sphynx Kitten to own

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Hello Looking for reasonable Sphynx Kitten to own

Advertisements
    I just moved to Fort Bragg and Im wanting a maincoon cat or a sphynx to keep me company bc im alone most of the time. Anyone know of any breeders or somewhere i could get one?
  2. Regular Member
    I think the closest Sphynx breeder was in VA... I can't remember exactly, because its been about three years since I looked into it.
    "Sometimes, its not until you watch someone you love dying, that you truly realize what a gift each day is that you don't have to say good bye."
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would suggest going through the CFA to locate a reputable breeder The Cat Fanciers' Association - The World's Largest Registry for Pedigreed Cats -- if you are not intending to show you may be able to pick up a nice "pet quality" kitten fairly reasonably (keep in mind a "reasonable" price for a well bred kitten is not going to necessarily be your idea of reasonable). You may also want to consider looking into rescues in your area.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Also, opening up the scope of your search will help - if you are open to an older kitten/young adult cat the price often comes down considerably as everyone wants the new/tiny kitten, but if a breeder has a kitten who's home fell through/they were unable to place they often discount the price rather than being "stuck" with another cat to care fo.
  5. Senior Member
    Go for a Maine Coon cat!! They are wonderful. Of course I could be biased because I have a couple.
  6. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Does it have to be one of those two breeds? I think you should go to the animal shelter / rescue and give a loving home to a kitty who really needs one.
  7. Senior Member
    I would say go to a forum that specializes in that particular cat breed.

Also, do research on breeders who are mentioned and be familiar of complications tha are present in the breed to make sure they do health testing on them. There are breeders who do no health testing at all, keep in mind of that.

I find that getting a pet from a good breeder (particularly one that shows and works with the breed) at most, ensures that you'll be getting a healthy, sound, stable temperment, companion; even if you're not going to show.
    There may also be a wait-list on the litter, but the waiting is well worth it.
  8. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Go for a Maine Coon cat!! They are wonderful. Of course I could be biased because I have a couple.
    I agree with this! I had a Maine Coon and she was so cuddly!
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thanks to everyone who has given me some great advice! I will prob go rescue one when it comes down to it. lol But thanx again...