Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need potty training help....

1. Senior Member

Need potty training help....

Advertisements
    So we got a new puppy. 9 weeks old. She was always outside so was never housebroken. We have had her a week and the potty training is not going as well as I expected. She is very food orientated so I thought treats when she pottys outside was the way to get her to learn but it isn't working.

Soooo I need some new ideas. Someone with experience and great ideas please help!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Are you using or open to using crate training? It really does wonders for housetraining (among other things). What about tethering - are you open to using that? How are you currently approaching her training? Are you doing potty trips on or off leash? Are you using one consistent cue word for the potty break? How often are you taking her out? Is she roaming free in the house? Have you been able to identify her "I need to go" cues yet?
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Pictures!!!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Are you using or open to using crate training? It really does wonders for housetraining (among other things). What about tethering - are you open to using that? How are you currently approaching her training? Are you doing potty trips on or off leash? Are you using one consistent cue word for the potty break? How often are you taking her out? Is she roaming free in the house? Have you been able to identify her "I need to go" cues yet?

Ok. First some back ground on her so you understand her. The family got her from had a big dog run outside and their dogs lived outside. So while they came inside none of them (including the adults) are housebroken. So for almost 8 weeks she had free roam to pee and poop wherever she wants and was never contained past being in the dog run.

So we do have a crate and I am trying to crate train her but have never done official crate training. We have just always had dogs that are ok with a crate even as puppies. This one cries and only stops once she falls asleep. BUT I have only used it at night. But yes I am very open to crate training. I am not sure what you mean by tethering.

We take her out about every 5 minutes after she has eaten or drank (no free feeding or water but she is offered water all day) for about the first 30 minutes than about every 10 minutes for the next 30-40 minutes. Otherwise we take her out at least once an hour. We do use one word for potty which is "outside". She does free roam to whatever level we are on (2 story house). For cues....yeah her cues are her peeing and pooping. During the day there are no cues. At night she can hold it from about 10pm to 4 or 5am without needing to go out and she just gets squirmy around that time of the morning so I take her out. She has not had any bedtime accidents unless it has been in the cage. I have potty pads I can use if need be but she likes to carry those around as a chew toy lol.
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Crate training can be really helpful with potty training, make sure that the crate is only big enough for pup to stand up, laydown and turn around. Any extra room invites accidents.

If you're going to use a crate, the big times to use it is when you can't be fully 100% focused on pup. If you're going to be on the computer then the pup should be in the crate, if your eyes are on the pup all the time then they need to be in the crate because this cuts down on the amount of time they are able to have accidents.

The big times to make sure to take pup out the following:

(1) 5 min after eating or being offered water
    (2) Right after active play
    (3) Right after waking up from even a short nap
    (4) Straight from the kennel (I like this one because it teaches them that immediately after they get out of the kennel they potty outside and then they can come in and be part of the family)

The other option is tethering, this is when you put pup on a leash and take them everywhere you go during the day. So if you're walking from room to room cleaning and you don't want to put pup in the kennel then tether them and take them with you. This gives you the chance to be aware of pup constantly.

The biggest thing that our trainer taught us was our dogs had to earn freedom, they have to learn the rules of the house before they get any sort of free roam priviledges. So until they are 100% trained and know the house rules they don't get to just be out of your site, this cuts down on time for accidents.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I used crate training and my puppy was housetrained within 1 week, no joke. I got her at 8 weeks and kept her in the crate anytime I couldn't watch her like a hawk. She cried at night for hours at first, and it was a PITA, but after a few weeks she stopped crying. I took her outside immediately after letting her out of the crate. Praised her anytime she went potty and watched her every second when she was in the house. She only had 1 accident in the house. After 1 week she learned to go to the back door and sit down when she had to go outside.

Highly recommend crate training.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMrsG View Post
    Crate training can be really helpful with potty training, make sure that the crate is only big enough for pup to stand up, laydown and turn around. Any extra room invites accidents.

If you're going to use a crate, the big times to use it is when you can't be fully 100% focused on pup. If you're going to be on the computer then the pup should be in the crate, if your eyes are on the pup all the time then they need to be in the crate because this cuts down on the amount of time they are able to have accidents.

The big times to make sure to take pup out the following:

(1) 5 min after eating or being offered water
    (2) Right after active play
    (3) Right after waking up from even a short nap
    (4) Straight from the kennel (I like this one because it teaches them that immediately after they get out of the kennel they potty outside and then they can come in and be part of the family)

The other option is tethering, this is when you put pup on a leash and take them everywhere you go during the day. So if you're walking from room to room cleaning and you don't want to put pup in the kennel then tether them and take them with you. This gives you the chance to be aware of pup constantly.

The biggest thing that our trainer taught us was our dogs had to earn freedom, they have to learn the rules of the house before they get any sort of free roam priviledges. So until they are 100% trained and know the house rules they don't get to just be out of your site, this cuts down on time for accidents.
    - also, to add, on the bolded it is also advisable to take a mid-play potty break for play periods of much length - you'll often notice that puppies will be mid play, squat, pee and right back to playing -- all in the period of a couple of seconds.
  8. Senior Member
    Thank you ladies. I am taking all of this advice. Her crate is a bit big right now as it was suggested I get on that is bigger to fit as she gets bigger. Not as big as she will be, but not the smallest either. So should I go buy another? I will if really need be, just hate the thought of spending 30 dollars on crate for a couple weeks. KWIM?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What type of crate is it? Many come with a panel that can be used to "adjust as they grow" by sectioning off part of the crate. You may be able to improvise if your crate is not one that has this option.
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    You could get some card board and zip ties and create a divider to keep her space a little smaller.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast