Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Golden retriever shaking his ears?

1. Senior Member

Golden retriever shaking his ears?

Advertisements
    My dog has been shaking his ears around every few minutes, we haven't been home much today so I'm not sure if he's been doing it all day or what. He went in the pool yesterday (I made sure his ears were dried) and they're not dirty or anything, and he lets me touch them and all and they look fine. Normal color, I don't see any irritation or anything. He's otherwise totally normal and he's still happy and playful, he's just shaking his ears a lot.

What else should I check for to make sure they're not infected? Anything else I should do? At what point should I bring him to the vet?
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    He may have gotten water in them at the pool. Just keep checking them daily for signs of infection (discharge, gross smell, scratching etc..). If this is something he continues for more than a few days, bring him to the vet.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    He may have gotten water in them at the pool. Just keep checking them daily for signs of infection (discharge, gross smell, scratching etc..). If this is something he continues for more than a few days, bring him to the vet.
    Thank you vino! Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get water out of his ears or does it have to resolve itself?
  4. Senior Member
    My vet told us to use the ear cleaning fluid to help dry out the ears, we had a Cocker Spaniel so her ears didn't always drain. I don't know if there is anything else you can use.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My lab is horrible with getting ear infections after swimming! He does this and ends up doing it so much that his ears swell! So keep an eye on him.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I have a golden too who looooves the pool and is very prone to ear infections. The vet gave me drops to put in his ears after everytime he's been in the water. I bet it's water in his ears for yours too. See if maybe you can get some at the pet store. I would highly recommend it if he goes in the water a lot.