Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Dog Anxiety Fix!

  1. Senior Member
    BiggyBiggs's Avatar
    BiggyBiggs is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    13,255
    #1

    Dog Anxiety Fix!

    Advertisements
    This has been our only real struggle with Sherlock so far. He gets really bad separation anxiety. I went to a dog training seminar a couple months ago and she suggested trying Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP). We couldn't have it shipped here (can't go APO), I had my parents buy some of the spray and bring it over when they flew. WORKS WONDERS!!!!!!!!!!

    If you have a dog with anxiety it is totally worth a try! The trainer who suggested it said it said it's 50/50, works for half of the dogs she has tried it with, but when it works, it WORKS! I am SO excited and relieved. Can't believe it. Using this he should be able to calm down enough to implement other training techniques to completely fix his anxiety and eventually wean him off the spray.

    It comes in spray form and also comes in a diffuser like a glade plug in
  2. Senior Member
    dekeoboe's Avatar
    dekeoboe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,834
    #2
    It is nice that it worked for you. It doesn't work for our dog and the veterinarian behaviorist said she wasn't surprised to hear it didn't work. Then again, our dog has a few issues.
  3. Senior Member
    kaaau's Avatar
    kaaau is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,818
    #3
    It is good to hear that it is working for you and your furbaby.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. Senior Member
    alice04's Avatar
    alice04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,408
    #4
    I love hearing about these more "natural" remedies I perhaps would have tried pheromones as well if I had come across them first way back when, but instead use Pet Essences which is like flowers and herbs aromatherapy type deal that come in different formulas for different ailments. Got the "travel" one for my one dog's car anxiety and motion sickness. I put a couple drops on his tongue and also dilute it in a spray bottle and spray his chest and legs and the car. Works like a charm Also give chicken jerky that has lavender and chamomile in it to calm nerves in car or when company comes over. Used to use Dogswell Mellow Mut, Now Blue Buffalo Tranquility. oh! the Thundershirt as well. If you have any other wisdom like these please share, I love talking dog with people
  5. Regular Member
    OliveJuice_JV's Avatar
    OliveJuice_JV is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    37
    Blog Entries
    1
    #5
    I love all this great information!! My pup freaks out when other dogs are around. I seriously don't get to take her anywhere which sitnks because I'd really love to give her the chance to roam at a dog park or one of the dog beaches but I just can't bare to see her drooling and shaking. It makes me so sad and I can tell she's not enjoying her time outside...

    Would these sprays work for issues like hers?
  6. Senior Member
    BiggyBiggs's Avatar
    BiggyBiggs is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    13,255
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveJuice_JV View Post
    I love all this great information!! My pup freaks out when other dogs are around. I seriously don't get to take her anywhere which sitnks because I'd really love to give her the chance to roam at a dog park or one of the dog beaches but I just can't bare to see her drooling and shaking. It makes me so sad and I can tell she's not enjoying her time outside...

    Would these sprays work for issues like hers?
    I just found out they also make them in collar form so that would probably work well for this type of situation. I would probably start by just setting up a play date with an extremely laid back dog before taking the plunge to the dog park or something. Then slowly build up from there.
  7. Senior Member
    BiggyBiggs's Avatar
    BiggyBiggs is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    13,255
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    I love hearing about these more "natural" remedies I perhaps would have tried pheromones as well if I had come across them first way back when, but instead use Pet Essences which is like flowers and herbs aromatherapy type deal that come in different formulas for different ailments. Got the "travel" one for my one dog's car anxiety and motion sickness. I put a couple drops on his tongue and also dilute it in a spray bottle and spray his chest and legs and the car. Works like a charm Also give chicken jerky that has lavender and chamomile in it to calm nerves in car or when company comes over. Used to use Dogswell Mellow Mut, Now Blue Buffalo Tranquility. oh! the Thundershirt as well. If you have any other wisdom like these please share, I love talking dog with people
    Pretty much all you listed is what I have heard of. The thundershirt was going to be our next step before we went to the vet to try anxiety pills. There are ways to train them to have less anxiety, but Sherlock was so completely out of his mind he was in no state to be able to learn. Now that he is calmer with the spray I can start training him to be calm while we are gone as well. I hope to have him weaned off any extras like the spray in a few months.
  8. Senior Member
    Caity Rose's Avatar
    Caity Rose is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,279
    #8
    hm. I might have to try it. My dog is very timid
  9. Regular Member
    Katie134's Avatar
    Katie134 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ft Wainwright, AK
    Posts
    64
    #9
    My mom actually just bought some of that spray for her Chihuahuas, it worked great for them! One of the dogs has the typical Chihuahua attitude and it calmed him down a lot. She bought him a Thundershirt before learning about the spray, she returned it within a couple days since it didn't work for him at all. The other dog had to have his gall bladder removed a few days ago and the vet tech recommended the spray since he gets so nervous at the vets. I've been wanting to purchase some for my dog because he has separation anxiety. I'm glad to hear the spray worked for someone else, too!
  10. Regular Member
    OliveJuice_JV's Avatar
    OliveJuice_JV is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    37
    Blog Entries
    1
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    I just found out they also make them in collar form so that would probably work well for this type of situation. I would probably start by just setting up a play date with an extremely laid back dog before taking the plunge to the dog park or something. Then slowly build up from there.
    That's awesome! I'll definitely be looking for one the next time I'm at petsmart. thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •