Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Common Sense, I would think.

  1. Senior Member
    kms51211's Avatar
    kms51211 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    417
    #1

    Common Sense, I would think.

    Advertisements
    If you live in an apartment complex PLEASE make sure to put your dog on a leash. I was walking my two dogs around our apartment when they were attacked by a dog who was not on a leash. It ran off of the owners porch and started attacking. My dogs both cowered in fear. Even if your dogs are not aggressive it's still SO important because you don't know what could happen.
  2. Senior Member
    alice04's Avatar
    alice04 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,408
    #2
    oh no! what do you mean by attacked though? He came running up to your dogs barking, or literally attacked and hurt them? I feel ya on the leash thing. I always leash my dogs. But every where you go there are people who let their dogs run around loose, and it seems more prevalent where I live now. It's frustrating because even if I am doing the right thing by leashing my dog but if someone else doesn't and it comes running up to my leashed dog and they get into a brawl and my dog bites back before I am able to get away whose fault is it then? Me with my leashed dog? Or the other person who will claim that their dog is "friendly" yet loose? Makes me mad. One of the reasons I rarely walk them around my neighborhood here, sadly. Luckily we have a huge backyard.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #3
    You would think it is common sense but I have heard ever excuse in the book for people not ot have to be bothered to leash their dogs.

    Oh but he's so friendly he wouldn't hurt a fly!

    Oh he just wants to say hi!

    Oh if I put him on the leash he tries to dig/barks too much/doesn't like it!

    Oh but dogs were meant to be free!

    Oh well every time I put him outside he escapes and I can't be bothered to watch my dog/fix the problem so he won't escape anymore, teehee isn't he clever!

    Oh he mauled another dog, well that dog must have started it and it's not MY dog's fault and he doesn't need a leash!

  4. Senior Member
    kms51211's Avatar
    kms51211 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    417
    #4
    The other dog physically attacked them, not just barking. The dog then ran through the parking lot towards a busy road. It's not only dangerous for other dogs but for that dog as well. It could get hit by a car, ect. I always leash my dogs as well, even though I know they are well behaved I know other dogs aren't always. Also, my one dog is deaf and doesn't understand social cues from other dogs very well. It makes me mad too! I can't wait to have a back yard for my dogs!!
  5. Senior Member
    kms51211's Avatar
    kms51211 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    417
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    You would think it is common sense but I have heard ever excuse in the book for people not ot have to be bothered to leash their dogs.

    Oh but he's so friendly he wouldn't hurt a fly!

    Oh he just wants to say hi!

    Oh if I put him on the leash he tries to dig/barks too much/doesn't like it!

    Oh but dogs were meant to be free!

    Oh well every time I put him outside he escapes and I can't be bothered to watch my dog/fix the problem so he won't escape anymore, teehee isn't he clever!

    Oh he mauled another dog, well that dog must have started it and it's not MY dog's fault and he doesn't need a leash!

    This one really gets me! Even if your dog is friendly what if he runs up to a dog that isn't!?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KnittingGuamMama's Avatar
    KnittingGuamMama is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kings Bay, GA
    Posts
    6,535

    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    You would think it is common sense but I have heard ever excuse in the book for people not ot have to be bothered to leash their dogs.

    Oh but he's so friendly he wouldn't hurt a fly!

    Oh he just wants to say hi!

    Oh if I put him on the leash he tries to dig/barks too much/doesn't like it!

    Oh but dogs were meant to be free!

    Oh well every time I put him outside he escapes and I can't be bothered to watch my dog/fix the problem so he won't escape anymore, teehee isn't he clever!

    Oh he mauled another dog, well that dog must have started it and it's not MY dog's fault and he doesn't need a leash!

    Ugh, yes! We had neighbors in Hawaii in housing (where there's an enforced leash law) who had big German Shepards (three different houses, they were all friends). They'd let the dogs run loose and one almost knocked me over about 2 weeks after we brought Wyatt home while I was carrying him and recovering from my c section! My mom went off on the girl for not only letting the dog off leash but off leash while I was walking into the house with the new baby and her response was, Oh but she's just trying to say hi! Yeah, while almost making me drop my newborn and sent me to the hospital to get checked out for my stitches.... I HATE loose dogs with a passion. Love dogs but hate irresponsible owners!
  7. Senior Member
    kms51211's Avatar
    kms51211 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    417
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    Ugh, yes! We had neighbors in Hawaii in housing (where there's an enforced leash law) who had big German Shepards (three different houses, they were all friends). They'd let the dogs run loose and one almost knocked me over about 2 weeks after we brought Wyatt home while I was carrying him and recovering from my c section! My mom went off on the girl for not only letting the dog off leash but off leash while I was walking into the house with the new baby and her response was, Oh but she's just trying to say hi! Yeah, while almost making me drop my newborn and sent me to the hospital to get checked out for my stitches.... I HATE loose dogs with a passion. Love dogs but hate irresponsible owners!
    How scary! I'm not going to lie, my dogs have slipped out the door a time or two when they think they are going for a car ride. They always go directly to our car but this still scares me that they could get hit so we've started making sure that when people come over we can grab ahold of the dogs before they open the door (that's the only time it has happened).
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KnittingGuamMama's Avatar
    KnittingGuamMama is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kings Bay, GA
    Posts
    6,535

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kms51211 View Post
    How scary! I'm not going to lie, my dogs have slipped out the door a time or two when they think they are going for a car ride. They always go directly to our car but this still scares me that they could get hit so we've started making sure that when people come over we can grab ahold of the dogs before they open the door (that's the only time it has happened).
    Yeah, my yorkie has gotten out before and I've had to chase her down but there's a big difference between dog getting out with the owner running after them and then just standing there while the dogs are out running the neighborhood jumping on your neighbors. I was constantly calling the security on the neighbors because I couldn't even take Wyatt out to play on the park behind our house there without the dogs being out and running all over the place and none of the owners seemed to see a problem with it. I'm only 5ft so even friendly a full grown shepard (let alone three) would do some serious damage if I fell down, plus carrying a baby
  9. Senior Member
    kms51211's Avatar
    kms51211 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    417
    #9
    Yes it is the worst! I was walking my dogs one day and a small dog I think chihuahua just started following my dogs and I. The owners NEVER even realized that the dog was gone and we were walking through a parking lot and I was afraid that it was going to get hit by a car so I just waiting in the grass until it decided to go back to their porch because the owners obviously didn't care. I can't just pick up a small dog and take it back home when I'm walking two 60 pound dogs around!! It's just so frustrating.
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    rayfinkle's Avatar
    rayfinkle is offline
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18,538
    #10
    People walk their dogs all the time here in Colorado without leashes. It really doesn't bother me. I hope one day we can do it with our dog.


    life's a party, rock your body
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •