Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I dont know what to do

1. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl

I dont know what to do

Advertisements
    Our puppy has what I suspect is a UTI. She had her staples out Saturday from getting spayed. Saturday (I think) she was squatting a couple times when we'd go potty. I didn't think much of it, she goes to the bathroom a lot. Sunday she was squatting like 5x. This morning I called the vet, they said that we should drop her off tomorrow morning.

Now she seems like she's in pain. There is still potty coming out but only a little bit. Her little legs shake when she goes and sometimes she cries :'(. Its breaking my heart. I called the vet again and they said that we could go to the emergency vet but they will not see her today. period. They said as long as she's pottying at all its fine. We have 13 hours till she goes to the vet tomorrow morning.

Should we go ahead to the emergency vet? I know it is going to cost a lot and we've already spent so much on her this last week (2 different worms treatments, 2 different ring worm meds since the first one didn't work, 3 vet visits). Can anyone with experience on this weigh in?

ps, I will no longer be going to this vet. I'm so upset they said to just come tomorrow, she has really escalated today, its crazy to say they cant see her, we're supposed to always be able to walk in.

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    What a terrible vet! Personally I would head into the emergency vet! When Giz was an itty bitty puppy he had lots of diarrhea and we were told to wait a day which almost cost him his life
    This isn't life or death, but it sounds like she's in severe pain

3. Senior Member
    I would definitely go to the ER Vet. Sorry to hear that your baby is suffering!
  4. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    She's calmed down and seems fine now, cuddled up sleeping with our other dog. DH said that's how she's been all day and that's why he wasn't too worried. Im wondering if me being upset made her freak out.

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
  5. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Dogs do react to human emotion If she's ok now then waiting till tomorrow might be ok. good luck!

6. Senior Member
    straining to urinate is always one of the signs they say to look for after a surgery!! I would DEFINITELY bring her in. I don't believe that's normal. My pup certainly didn't have problems peeing when she got spayed. I'm not entirely sure... but since she had surgery I doubt it's a UTI. But, if you find out it is a UTI, I recommend getting a food with cranberries in it I'm sure your pup will be perfectly fine though after a vet checkup
  7. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    We brought her in, she seemed to be in pain again. And I just couldn't stand it. Still waiting to see the vet. We've been here about thirty minutes so hopefully we're next.

Adventures In Love
  8. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Poor puppy! I hope she's ok. And I would find a new vet, what a jerk.

9. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    The emergency vet was amazing, so thorough and really took her time to review Mila's paperwork. They recommended another vet that they bring their dogs to .

Mila had an ultrasound, her belly was good and they confirmed her bladder was small . She does have an infection, they gave her pain meds and antibiotics. They also gave her food that she LOVED so that she could get something on her belly and encourage her to drink (she hadn't had anything since this morning). It worked like a charm, now we know what to get her while her belly is upset. And amazingly it was under $150, I was expecting so much more.

She seems much happier with some food on her stomach and pain meds, still whiny and lethargic but not crying. Im really glad we took her in . Thank you guys for the recommendation to do it, you helped convince DH .

Adventures In Love
  10. Senior Member
    I'm so glad you took her in and it went so well! I hope she's feeling all better soon!