Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How do you introduce them?

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

How do you introduce them?

Advertisements
    So, we got two kittens. Not one, two.

Right now, they are in our bathroom. It's the smaller of the two bathrooms in the house and we can shut our bedroom door so the kids don't freak them out when they are going nuts (bathroom door is always closed). They are doing fantastically. But, I keep hearing/reading so many different ways to introduce them to the pup. They already know the girls, and we haven't had an issue yet, and they've done really well every time we play with them. Abbey knows they are there and will sit by the door and sniff, the cats don't freak out and Abbey doesn't do anything aggressive.

We let them have a day then, when the kids were all napping, we let them loose in the house (with Abbey outside) and they loved it. Abbey was at the sliding glass door and one of them went right up to the glass and they just kinda played with each other. The three don't seem to be scared of each other and they are clearly good with the house.

At what point do we allow them out all day? (We have tons of places for them to get away from the dog/kids and a baby gate that we will use to keep the dog out of the bathroom) I want to do it the right way, but I hate them having to stay in the bathroom so much.

2. Member
    We were probably bad about it but we made sure they didn't act aggressive and then let them go as they please right away.
    We had the cats first tho so they already had full use of the house. When we got Rue she was just a baby and was ok with the cats.

We did have a room dedicated just to the cats tho so they could get away as needed (ie rue being a obnoxious puppy). We just put the baby gate up for them to jump over.
    Survived deployment #1
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I prefer to have the dog on leash simply because that gives me the ability to control the situation and an immediate way to break something up if things go badly (I'd rather remove the dog via leash than try to grab a terrified cat/kitten ). My dogs are asked for a down/stay and the cat is allowed to wander at will, approach/retreat, etc as is comfortable for him/her. The dog is expected to show interest but not be intent on jumping on, lunging at, etc the cat. If they start to show too much excitement I use "leave it" or another command to interrupt/re-direct their energy and put them back in the state of mind *I* want to exist between my cat/dog. For hard cases, with a lot of prey drive by the dog, I will use this and combine it with positive feedback (treats) for seeing the cat but NOT showing the desire to "get" the cat, rather being able to look, look away and be treated. (our Jethro had MAJOR prey drive with cats when we got him - it took a lot of work, and he was not allowed off leash around them until we were 100% comfortable that he had turned the corner) Providing lots of places for the cat to get out of reach is key in building a good relationship because a cat that knows it can get away will be less likely to feel threatened and more likely to investigate and want to be around the dog.
  4. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Thank you!!

Should we wait a few more days before trying? Or go ahead and do it today? (We got them Saturday)