Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Puppy poop question

1. Senior Member

Puppy poop question

Advertisements
    We are transitioning Mason over to his new food and started this morning with 75% old food and 25% new food. I noticed that his poops have been loose today and at the end they are almost liquid. He is not having large volumes of poop (he has had 2 poops today so far), it doesn't seem to be bothering him, and he doesn't seem to be having any problems with holding it.

Is it normal for puppies to have such loose stool? if so, when do their stools start to firm up?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It's probably the new food. Puppies have pretty sensitive stomachs.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Yup. Now if he is showing other signs like hematochezia or lethargy or vomiting- go to vet. But some loose stool with diet change? Normal.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Yup. Now if he is showing other signs like hematochezia or lethargy or vomiting- go to vet. But some loose stool with diet change? Normal.
    That is what I figured but just wanted to double check. Any secretes for crate training that you know of?
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    That is what I figured but just wanted to double check. Any secretes for crate training that you know of?
    Don't give in to the crying.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Don't give in to the crying.
    we are doing our best. I went out and bought some earplugs this afternoon in case tonight is as bad as last night was
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Make sure and make it home-y. Lots of toys and blankets and water (food if you are free feeding). Make it so the crate is an enjoyable place to be, never a place of punishment. It goes without saying, but never put then away mad. I always feed my dogs in their crate so they associate their favorite thing in the world with their crates. I also always keep the crate in the living room, If they are in their crate they shouldn't be separated from the family.

When it is time for them to go in their crate in the evenings, I tend to cover the crate with a blanket/sheet (barring it isn't really hot), it works as a signal that it is time to calm down and go to sleep. When I was starting to crate train they would go in their crates about an hour before I go to bed, so they could still hear us walking about and know we didn't leave them.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Make sure and make it home-y. Lots of toys and blankets and water (food if you are free feeding). Make it so the crate is an enjoyable place to be, never a place of punishment. It goes without saying, but never put then away mad. I always feed my dogs in their crate so they associate their favorite thing in the world with their crates. I also always keep the crate in the living room, If they are in their crate they shouldn't be separated from the family.

When it is time for them to go in their crate in the evenings, I tend to cover the crate with a blanket/sheet (barring it isn't really hot), it works as a signal that it is time to calm down and go to sleep. When I was starting to crate train they would go in their crates about an hour before I go to bed, so they could still hear us walking about and know we didn't leave them.
    we are going to try that tonight with his dinner. We put him in there this afternoon for a bit and rewarded him when he wasn't whining and he caught on fairly quickly and calmed down and ended up taking a nap in there. Hopefully that is a good signal for how tonight will go
  9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post

As a Dog trainer I would NOT suggest this until he has shown you he is potty trained/ out of the eating everything stage. Our GSD ate her bed when she was about 16 weeks old.
    But do make it a good place... Never punish him by putting him in there.
    Survived deployment #1