Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy + Exotic Pets

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Navy + Exotic Pets

Advertisements
    So I just opened an exotic animal education center in the area we are stationed at. With my husband's rate we will pretty much be stationed here forever. (Unless he goes officer.) But I was wondering if any other military families have exotic pets and what challenges they have with owning exotics in the military. What are your opinions on owning exotics animals?

We have an African Serval Cat, Black throat monitors, dumerils boa, Sudan plated lizards, green-cheek conures, Russian tortoise, and a variety of other animals.

Please check out and like our FB page to see photos of our animals!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunsh...277254?fref=ts

Here is our youtube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPDgcqk6BA
  2. Banned
    Banned
    we have a Bengal, he is an F4. we did not get him until we knew DH would retire.
    owning exotics IMO is irresponsible knowing one will move, not only because of military housing rules but state and county rules that are very strict.

We love our Bengal and I wanted for years before we got him. but I refused to get an animal I could not be 100% guaranteed I could take with me where ever we moved to.
  3. Senior Member
    I feel that in most cases, owning exotics--just like owning more than 2 cats or dogs--is irresponsible for those in the military. There are those rare cases of jobs that will never move, or other special circumstances, but IMO, it shouldn't be done.

You never know when you will be sent overseas or forced to live in housing.

You asked our opinions on owning exotics, but I'm not sure if you mean in general, or within the confines of a military lifestyle. In general, I don't have an issue with people owning exotics (depending on type, conditions, etc.), but I do think it is a bad idea for most military families.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    ^ ditto to both.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I feel that in most cases, owning exotics--just like owning more than 2 cats or dogs--is irresponsible for those in the military. There are those rare cases of jobs that will never move, or other special circumstances, but IMO, it shouldn't be done.

You never know when you will be sent overseas or forced to live in housing.

You asked our opinions on owning exotics, but I'm not sure if you mean in general, or within the confines of a military lifestyle. In general, I don't have an issue with people owning exotics (depending on type, conditions, etc.), but I do think it is a bad idea for most military families.

ITA - *IF* one absolutely must own an exotic animal while being in the military they need to be absolutely ready and willing to live separately if/when orders arise that would impede being able to move with those animals to the new location - whether due to local restrictions on those animals, housing availability issues (renting is complicated by the choice of owning an exotic), etc. There has to be an absolutely rock solid Plan A, B and C that will guarantee secure living conditions for the animals at all times no matter what orders arise.
    You said yourself you "likely" won't move from there and then said "unless he goes officer" so it seems that there have been some discussions of the possibility that he would make such a choice -- how have you factored this, the exotic animals, into that decision?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by maxenesunshine View Post
    So I just opened an exotic animal education center in the area we are stationed at. With my husband's rate we will pretty much be stationed here forever. (Unless he goes officer.) But I was wondering if any other military families have exotic pets and what challenges they have with owning exotics in the military. What are your opinions on owning exotics animals?

We have an African Serval Cat, Black throat monitors, dumerils boa, Sudan plated lizards, green-cheek conures, Russian tortoise, and a variety of other animals.

Please check out and like our FB page to see photos of our animals!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunsh...277254?fref=ts

Here is our youtube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPDgcqk6BA
    Curious - by "opened an education center" - are you a fully licensed and inspected/certified center? Are you operating from your home or from a separate location? How expensive has your insurance been?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I agree with villanelle. Question-- which rate is he that he'd never move from Fort Gordon? I'm guessing that he's a direct support CT of some kind?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. Moderator

Holy cow, you have a lot of animals! I looked on your fb page. I'm guessing this is your licensed business.

In that case, if he would get orders somewhere else, would you be willing to GEO to take care of the business and all the animals without him?

We steer clear of exotics or any animals we could not take with us in a move or have in housing with us.
  9. Senior Member

Nope.
    We're getting ferrets again post-navy.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I just looked at your Facebook too... Severus snake I have no exotic animals just one regular ole shelter cat, I'd love to get a regular ole shelter dog t go along with him someday but for now moving with a cat is enough hassle for me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast