Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: yeast infection

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

yeast infection

Advertisements
    Bella has a yeast infection on her stomach and legs. Well basically it is over her whole body. The vet says it's pretty bad, and I feel guilty but I have taken her in twice before because of her skin issues and they kept treating it like allergies!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has a dog prone to yeast infections and what you do to prevent them. The vet said there is a prescription food that may help but they didn't think I needed to take that step but I could look into low-carb sugar free dog food and that might help her. I don't know exactly what kind of food is like that, that isn't prescription? Or maybe there's something else I can do for her that I'm not thinking of?

Bella has some loose skin on her tummy and she gets skin allergies and with the heat/humidity he said it's a recipe for a yeast infection so I want to do what I can to make sure to protect her.

(Ugh, and Butters is sick too, I've spent more than $600 on them this week!)
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Chronic yeast infections often are because of allergies, so your vet is actually right to treat it as such. The best way is to keep them from happening is to keep the fur cut short in the summer months to keep it from getting moist on the skin, but really its down to figuring out allergies. Food vs. environmental. That involves STRICT food trials etc... A low carb diet wont do anything if she is allergic to corn/wheat/whatever carb is in there, or if shes allergic to a certain kind of meat (chickn or beef) a low carb diet really wont help. Unfortunately, allergies in animals is painstakingly difficult and irritating to diagnose and requires persistance and many failed trials.
    Banned
    I know for adults probiotics are a great booster in the healthy bacteria that fights yeast infections, but IDK if you can give that to dogs. (Vino????)
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah I guess I was kind of calling out the vet, I was just irritated because I felt like he was very accusatory about it. Like "oh this yeast infection is REALLY bad, you should have brought her in!" when I had brought her in several times and it wasn't just like I was ignoring her being sick. Probably feeling just a bit defensive because of the way he said it.

Bella's already a short haired dog so there's really not much I can do with her hair. The vet also says the allergies are environmental (she was diagnosed with those before I got her and is on treatment for that) so I think that's why they didn't seem super concerned about changing her diet. I will bring it up again though because I feel awful for how uncomfortable she is.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    I know for adults probiotics are a great booster in the healthy bacteria that fights yeast infections, but IDK if you can give that to dogs. (Vino????)
    This is what I was thinking. i give my dog probiotics (Forti Flora) for tummy issues. I would think it would help for yeast infections.... but the fact that it is a skin irritation makes me wonder if it would indeed help?
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Yeah I guess I was kind of calling out the vet, I was just irritated because I felt like he was very accusatory about it. Like "oh this yeast infection is REALLY bad, you should have brought her in!" when I had brought her in several times and it wasn't just like I was ignoring her being sick. Probably feeling just a bit defensive because of the way he said it.

Bella's already a short haired dog so there's really not much I can do with her hair. The vet also says the allergies are environmental (she was diagnosed with those before I got her and is on treatment for that) so I think that's why they didn't seem super concerned about changing her diet. I will bring it up again though because I feel awful for how uncomfortable she is.
    Well dogs can have environmental and food allergies, so trying a food trial to see if symptoms decrease/disappear isnt contraindicated. It may not help if she does only have environmental allergies, but you can always try. JUst know it takes 8-12 weeks of a novel protein diet (think lamb or venison) for it to 'work' if its gonna work and in that time there can be ZERO treats, not even the beef flavored heartworm pills.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    This is what I was thinking. i give my dog probiotics (Forti Flora) for tummy issues. I would think it would help for yeast infections.... but the fact that it is a skin irritation makes me wonder if it would indeed help?
    Maybe it could help? I might ask about in the followup. Her skin is irritated but the vet said it could be a systemic infection so she is taking pills for it in addition to topical treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Well dogs can have environmental and food allergies, so trying a food trial to see if symptoms decrease/disappear isnt contraindicated. It may not help if she does only have environmental allergies, but you can always try. JUst know it takes 8-12 weeks of a novel protein diet (think lamb or venison) for it to 'work' if its gonna work and in that time there can be ZERO treats, not even the beef flavored heartworm pills.
    I might try this after she gets better. Butters has environmental allergies too so it might help him as well. The treats are deifnitely something to think about because they do have the chewable pills plus I use treats to get them to take their other pills. Maybe I can figure something out though.
  8. Senior Member
    Sometimes you can pair up the treats with the food you are giving them. I know Natural Balance makes limited ingredient foods and has treats that go with them that works for dogs that have allergies.